Choosing how to spend my money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new 2013 Ram 1500 express quad cab with the 5.7L. Already have a flowmaster muffler installed.

Here are my two options:
A) S&B CAI for $300
S&B Cold Air Intake 09-13 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi - Dry Filter

OR

B) Volant CAI $207 and TYC efan for $115
Volant Fast Fit 5 Intakes - Best Price on Volant Fast Fit 5 Cold Air Intake Systems - Free Shipping
&
TYC 622320 Replacement Cooling Fan Assembly for Dodge Ram Pickup:Amazon:Automotive

Although the two options are close in price, I don't feel comfortable installing the efan. I currently have not gotten any quotes for that install.

So what should I do? Thanks

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
S&B all the way!
I have never been a fan of anything Volant makes. The S&B is a good system and well worth the money.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A) all the way. I've heard the fitment of Volant is not great. You'd think the S&B was made by Mopar.
With the pic tutorials around here I can't imagine a problem installing the efan...

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A) all the way. I've heard the fitment of Volant is not great. You'd think the S&B was made by Mopar.
With the pic tutorials around here I can't imagine a problem installing the efan...

That's just the thing. If I get the expensive S&B CAI (option A), I can't get the efan. I can get both a CAI and efan for just a bit more than option A.

TaterSalad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 4x4
S&B hands down. Its a breeze to install and the quality is unmatched! You will notice immediate gains as well.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
S&B hands down. Its a breeze to install and the quality is unmatched! You will notice immediate gains as well.

I think that might be the way to go as well. I don't want to cheap out on my CAI just to get the efan at the same time.

Appreciate the input from everyone!

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Home made CAI, e-fan, and another mod :D lol

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We get that you can't buy the more expensive CAI and the efan, but still think its worth it.
You can make your own CAI by bodging parts together. The part I really wanted to changes was the factory accordion piece between the filter box and TB, and your only option for that is a carbon fibre piece that's $300 by itself.

I'm not making a claim right here because its quite a bit warmer out now (and I think all vehicles get better mileage in the summer than winter) but we're getting almost 2L/100km (a solid 1MPG) better after installing our CAI. No other changes.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We get that you can't buy the more expensive CAI and the efan, but still think its worth it.
You can make your own CAI by bodging parts together. The part I really wanted to changes was the factory accordion piece between the filter box and TB, and your only option for that is a carbon fibre piece that's $300 by itself.

I'm not making a claim right here because its quite a bit warmer out now (and I think all vehicles get better mileage in the summer than winter) but we're getting almost 2L/100km (a solid 1MPG) better after installing our CAI. No other changes.

I'll take a "solid 1 MPG" increase! That way the part pays for itself eventually! Thanks.

TaterSalad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 4x4
It will increase your MPGs for sure! They will increase even more if you add other mods in the future as well (TB, headers, exhaust, tune, etc...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenator