Coating Glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
i did a search and did not see any tried and true glass coating methods. I know their are proprietary glass coating products that I will most likely end up with unless @Pull Ya decides he wants to bless us with some of the great knowledge he has. (Please)
I’ve used proprietary glass coatings in the past and have had fair results (probably great results to most) just wish it lasted longer (that’s what she said) the ceramic coatings keep developing and I see more and more people putting ceramic on their glass 2-4 coats on the windshield and 1-2 on the side and rear glass.
My question is should I stick to a product made specifically for glass?

Should I not worry about it and just use a silica spray and re apply every wash?

Or is it more in the prep and I should be using a certain polish first instead of basic meguairs M205?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No great knowledge here, as I've said I just putter around and try to do enough reading to keep semi current with the never ending products that come out almost daily. I have never "coated my windshield or side windows however I read that some of the coatings are safe to use on the windows. I use Opti Glass on mine and I do it every time I wash the truck. I've had good luck with it and have never had a burning desire to try a coating yet. If you would like to experiment with a coating I would be interested in your results.
Jay

I assume that your comment in your first paragraph is tongue in cheek, at least that is the way I am taking it. If not, maybe we need to have a PM discussion. I am NOT an expert, I try to answer questions when asked, and if I think I can add anything to the conversation. There are many many other members that have far superior knowledge of detailing than I do. I learn new things in this section almost daily.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
No disrespect I trust your opinion as I know you keep up on products and have a real knowledge of what all these products do as opposed to what the markets are trying to make us believe. Hence why I said please.
My goal is to not get water spots etched into the glass again so I’m looking to do some type of coating or long term sealer. I don’t have a garage so my truck lives outside I do keep up with a weekly wash as much as I can. Recently I’ve been using p&s bead maker as my sacrificial layer on all surfaces and it does its job but I’d like to spend less time on the glass.
Now that I have ceramic coated my wheels I feel like I have seen the light and am hoping I can have similar maintenance on the glass.
6369AF90-15B4-4C40-AED8-92BE4293C137.jpeg
After I polished the glass i wanted to lock it in, because it looked perfect. Now that the weather is consistently above 45-50 here in PA I can polish again and use a product on it that will keep it for a while.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Opti Glass is one of the proprietary sealants I looked at. Says it lasts 12 months and forms a protected barrier over the surface. Is there a reason you’re applying every wash? Just routine or does the rain not sheet off as well

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me check with a few friends that are REAL pro's and see if they have anything they can recommend regarding coatings and glass and what kind of special prep is needed. The last "spot remover" I used didn't work worth a ****. LOL
Jay
I'm going to PM you--I got a couple questions about your "SWAT"

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Routine I guess--also may be that I wash the truck so often might have something to do with it. I use Meg's 62 Car Shampoo to wash with.
Jay

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
my car windows are done with ceramic pro's window treatment and after about a year i can tell it's wearing off(was told from the installer it would last about a year)

For my truck I have been using Adams Glass sealant and while it doesn't last as long as a more expensive ceramic coating it works almost as good. I clean the windshield with 00 00 steel wool and glass cleaner then apply the sealant. You could also clay bar the windshield and then apply the sealant(which is what adam does in the video)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually prep my windshield by clay barring it also, but have not tried a coating on it yet. Like I said, I'm still using the Opti that a detailer friend gave to me and I'm happy with it but it does not last as long as advertised.
Jay

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’m thinking that the results we’re seeing differences in are partly due to the geographical areas. @Pull Ya and I live in Texas with extreme heat. I’ve been searching for a glass polish also. So far I haven’t really found anything that is of superior quality. I’ve used Meguiar’s wax/polish on the glass and it lasts for about 2 months. Right now my truck is severely neglected almost to point of embarrassment.
It also lives outside in the elements. The up keep on keeping it show quality ready is near impossible. I live way out in the boondocks on hickville dirt road.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’m in research mode. Thank you for the feed back. My brother uses a sealer (I can’t think of what brand) and I just got him on a ceramic coating kick so now he’s asking me about doing the glass. I’ll report back and if anyone wants me to experiment I’m am open for suggestions

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be interested in what you find out and if you give something a try can you let us know what the results are? Thanks
Jay

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Anybody ever try Diamond Fusion?
That stuff says it lasts 5 years on a windshield wow. Pretty awesome seems they have a training program to be a dealer which I’d imagine you’d have to buy a certain amount per year or commit to their terms to purchase.
Have you researched this or have an avenue to get prices?

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ve been looking at the Dr Beasley’s glass syrum claiming 3 year protection and I’ve used their stuff before. A detailer buddy used their stuff a lot but he doesn’t offer his clients glass coatings when I asked him about it. He just uses a silica spray 20-30 days he says he gets out of them but 99% of his clients are on a maintenance program.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That stuff says it lasts 5 years on a windshield wow. Pretty awesome seems they have a training program to be a dealer which I’d imagine you’d have to buy a certain amount per year or commit to their terms to purchase.
Have you researched this or have an avenue to get prices?

I’ve never looked into it. My buddy owns a glass shop, where I currently work and this is what they use to coat shower doors. When I asked him about it, he said it was like industrial strength RainX. I was think about trying it out.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ve never looked into it. My buddy owns a glass shop, where I currently work and this is what they use to coat shower doors. When I asked him about it, he said it was like industrial strength RainX. I was think about trying it out.
It’s definitely commercial grade. Their website is informative. I’d be curious to see if it truly would hold up for 5 years

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was talking to a buddy who had a system done about 2 years ago and going strong. I can see if I can find more information.

Evo1xvg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is old school “I know “ posted before on Klasse twins for my paint sealant . I use Klasse AIO on all my glass and headlights . Last’s for 2 months or more makes your glass shine like a mirror and water beads First time use comes off a little hard after that wipes off with ease . Wipers glide over the glass for months . Been using since 80 ‘s hard to teach an old dog new tricks

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think Glassparency is going to be the winner.
I just signed up to be a certified installer. From what I read they offer a 3 year warranty

Last edited: