coil spring isolator life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
passenger side, front, and driver side

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
those were supposed to have been saved when i rotated the pics. sorry they didnt save

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Can you replicate the clunking sound if your wife can drive it and see if you can see anything move

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
be right back. i dont like the sound of that gut feeling BTW :p

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Can you replicate the clunking sound if your wife can drive it and see if you can see anything move

when she took it to the shop they told her that its the coils hitting against the part they are closest to on the top of each coil. let me know if you still need wider shots

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
EBD04F9B-0340-4CE0-978B-B7F183818D6E.jpeg
This is an alignment bolt it looks like a regular washer on it I need to see it clearer

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
the guy that does my alignment used to work for the local dodge dealership. he works for a large truck shop doing alignments now cause they paid more. i did use thurens specs when aligning

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
the guy that does my alignment used to work for the local dodge dealership. he works for a large truck shop doing alignments now cause they paid more. i did use thurens specs when aligning
I couldn’t quite see it thank you. It’s extremely hard to diagnose via pictures I more so look to make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
thoughts then?
Might need a new track bar. The coil seats on the 4th gens are very finicky. Have the shop take the load off and reset the springs. The coils shifted and caused the clunking but what caused it is the question. The oem springs are under a lot of stress so when raising them you want to keep the stress. I’m not sure exactly how rough country keeps the geometry. Did something cause it (off roading, giant pot hole, etc) or were you just driving normal

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
If memory serves the front track bar should be replaced within 20,000 miles on the lifted power wagons and HD trucks. Power wagons bar is a half in longer than a regular 2500
Worn track bar could have allowed too much movement

(I’m speculating)

Last edited:
OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Might need a new track bar. The coil seats on the 4th gens are very finicky. Have the shop take the load off and reset the springs. The coils shifted and caused the clunking but what caused it is the question. The oem springs are under a lot of stress so when raising them you want to keep the stress. I’m not sure exactly how rough country keeps the geometry. Did something cause it (off roading, giant pot hole, etc) or were you just driving normal

the only off roading i have done is the dirt road here in GA where i live to get to asphalt. as for the geometry, there are drop brackets for the disconnecting sway bar, a drop pitman arm, and drop brackets for the rear track bar. im going to ask the shop to reseat the coils and flip them at the same time if thats even worth it (in your opinion) to fix some of that flex that im hoping didnt become memory. but this hopefully means that i can return the isolators i ordered and put that to the track bar.

If memory serves the front track bar should be replaced within 20,000 miles on the lifter power wagons and HD trucks. Power wagons bar is a half in longer than a regular 2500
Worn track bar could have allowed too much movement
(I’m speculating)

thuren does state they should be replaced after 20k. is that just because of it being lifted? i wont use a rough country track bar as i have heard they rust out. i know i can use a thuren one. im at 36975 right now.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It never hurts to replace isolators but I doubt that’s your problem. The track bars are what hold the axles centered front and rear. Aftermarket ones are much beefier and go a much better job.
I usually use the synergy one but I would have to look it up for power wagon. Reach out to @Nick@GotExhaust he can set you up with one at a forum member discount. Even if it’s not what caused the issue it’s a must have on a lifted truck.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@michael harpe
It looks like there was unwanted movement that shifted the springs but without having the truck and going through process of eliminating things it’s just a guess. Front track bar is a very good place to start. Keep me updated on what your shop says

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca