coil spring isolator life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
@michael harpe
It looks like there was unwanted movement that shifted the springs but without having the truck and going through process of eliminating things it’s just a guess. Front track bar is a very good place to start. Keep me updated on what your shop says

will do. thank you so much for the advice. if you have an iphone id love to face time the issue tomorrow if you have time. ill send you my number just in case. never know.

It never hurts to replace isolators but I doubt that’s your problem. The track bars are what hold the axles centered front and rear. Aftermarket ones are much beefier and go a much better job.
I usually use the synergy one but I would have to look it up for power wagon. Reach out to @Nick@GotExhaust he can set you up with one at a forum member discount. Even if it’s not what caused the issue it’s a must have on a lifted truck.

doing that now. thank you.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Worn out radius arm bushings or track bar shouldnt make the coils and isolators shift like that, I wouldnt think anyway. Thats just bogus.

Does the axle droop down enough to allow the coils to become loose? Were they ever in their correct location to begin with?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Worn out radius arm bushings or track bar shouldnt make the coils and isolators shift like that, I wouldnt think anyway. Thats just bogus.

Does the axle droop down enough to allow the coils to become loose? Were they ever in their correct location to begin with?
Yeah his lift has been on going on 2 years. I questioned him if he went offroad or hit a giant pot hole that would cause the axle to droop and possibly shift but he said no. Something on that front end is not happy and believe me I’ve seen stranger things

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Spend the extra $80 on Thuren. All I did for 7 days at PWIM was listen to people complain about Synergy suspension equipment; faulty brackets, noises in the front end, complaint after complaint. Everyone who has Thuren’s stuff loves it.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
have an update. i took it to NE RO tires here in valdosta, ga. the alignment tech who works on my truck and listens to me on the thuren specs, used to work for cass burch dodge and left due to more pay with nero. anyways. he looked at the springs and noticed that the keeper that is part of the isolator is MISSING. AS IN GONE REMOVED THANKS FOR PLAYING. since no one since choice automotive has touched the suspension, im going to wager that they modified the stock isolators (which he did tell me they tend to do when they cant get long springs into those cups). so new top isolators on order. he is resetting the springs for me tomorrow since they will take a week to come in and ill have it back to him when they come in. he said i wont need a track bar until the stock one starts to deflect which mine is not. i trust this guy and he has always listened to me and explained things when i asked about thuren stuff or stuff that people have run into here.

soo thats why they shifted. pretty ****** if you ask me. (FWIW this is the same company who instead of sending their lifted trucks to nero for alignments, send them to a shop that does the old string method for alignments and that shop tried to sell me an adjustable ball joint to correct caster because they said mine were failing at 5000 miles. yeah.. :321::wtg:

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Wooow. So they’re not intelligent enough to know what to disconnect to get the axle to droop enough to fit the springs in, so they just start cutting away at the spring perch? That’s insanity. Those perches are designed that way for a reason. This type of setup could have gotten you killed, I’d seriously question the rest of the installation.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
135 to get springs reset till isolators come in. Those were 105 out the door from my Mopar parts.com cause **** the dealer price. This was 15% over cost.

Will update after these are replaced and I’ll keep an eye on this. Might be a month or so before an update after they are replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
here are the factory isolators that i found out the shop who did the lift install put one on backwards (the passenger one) which is why the spring moved. the driver one was put in the right orientation but not centered properly. first new isolators, second pic factory ones that were "bad". remaining 2 pics are close ups

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So verdict in, the tech at the shop that installed them is an idiot?

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I did noticed that the driver side is straight up and down, but the passenger spring still has a curve in it. Ye who said springs don’t have a memory... thoughts?

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I did noticed that the driver side is straight up and down, but the passenger spring still has a curve in it. Ye who said springs don’t have a memory... thoughts?

They don’t, the OEM springs have a natural curve to them. It’s a design flaw on how the perch sits on the axle. What you’re seeing is *probably* normal, but I’d need to see an updated pic to make sure.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
They don’t, the OEM springs have a natural curve to them. It’s a design flaw on how the perch sits on the axle. What you’re seeing is *probably* normal, but I’d need to see an updated pic to make sure.

I’ll get that tomorrow when it’s light out.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
@Quick_Shifter rough country told me an adjustable trac bar would recenter the axle. could that be whats causing this?

pass wide.JPG

passenger coil.JPG

passenger.JPG

driuver coil.JPG

driver wide.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca