coil spring isolator life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
ive got just about 36,000 on the 2018 power wagon. i have a rough country 4.5" lift, 37x12.5x20 tires/wheels. used thuren alignments specs and rotate tires at discount tire every 3000-5000 miles or when the steering wheel starts to vibrate (sometimes it was sooner than 3k). i started hearing a knocking sound when turning like when a cv joint is going out.

took it to the shop that put the lift on and was told that the coil spring isolators are going out and thats whats causing the front coild springs to knock against the body/frame.

my question is how long mileage wise do these last? i was told that the OEM ones are the best ones out there. i cant find any polyurethane ones for that year. energy suspension doesnt make any yet. i called.

the shop also said that they lasted longer than most do.

thoughts, comments, experiences please?

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I'm at 34,*** miles and do not have any issues with mine.

Maybe your lift is causing premature wear?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can pretty much guarantee it has everything to do with the lift. And probably dosnt even have anything to do with the isolator at all.

I have never heard of anyone needing to replace that part from premature wear. I have over 4 years and 40k miles on mine with a steel leveling spacer and have no issues.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
well i ordered the isolators from moparfactoryparts.com since they were cheaper than the dealer. i guess ill see if it was just the springs moving or if the isolators actually did wear and hang on to the new ones for when they do go. ill let you know once i get the shop done. also while im there im going to see about getting the springs powder coated candy apple red

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Rough Country is garbage. Parts fail prematurely, cause other components to fail, ride like ****, if they could find a way to make their parts out of wood, they’d do that. Sorry, not trying to be TOO blunt, but I wouldn’t come within a thousand feet of anything that says RC on it. I would bet almost anything I own that some component on the lift and/or the sheer design of a 4” puck spacer lift is doing dramatic damage to your truck. These trucks are NOT supposed to have spacer lifts installed, they do not behave well with them at all.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
the shop also said that they lasted longer than most do.
I went back through your post, this last line scares the **** out of me. These parts are NOT common failure points. If this shop has become complacent with replacing spring isolators, that tells me either they don’t know what they’re doing, they think that RC is a reputable enough brand to install lifts, they’re knowingly using them to keep costs down to buffer their profits, or any combination of the above. Find a new shop that installs quality parts. You need to get that RC lift off your truck or you’re going to continue to have drivability and quality issues, and with your history with the truck it doesn’t seem like it will take much for the truck to push you to want to get rid of it, when it isn’t going to be the truck’s fault. You may have gotten poor guidance as to the quality of a RC lift, and this shop’s response to your issue is VERY troubling.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I went back through your post, this last line scares the **** out of me. These parts are NOT common failure points. If this shop has become complacent with replacing spring isolators, that tells me either they don’t know what they’re doing, they think that RC is a reputable enough brand to install lifts, they’re knowingly using them to keep costs down to buffer their profits, or any combination of the above. Find a new shop that installs quality parts. You need to get that RC lift off your truck or you’re going to continue to have drivability and quality issues, and with your history with the truck it doesn’t seem like it will take much for the truck to push you to want to get rid of it, when it isn’t going to be the truck’s fault. You may have gotten poor guidance as to the quality of a RC lift, and this shop’s response to your issue is VERY troubling.

RC does suck, no doubt about it.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I had a rough country lift on my ram 1500, had to have it removed. Front end issues.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi

where does my history indicate that i would get rid of my truck? i am extremely happy with it. as for the lift kit, i ordered it and had the shop install it. the only spacers on the lift are the 2" spacers on the rear springs. no spacers on the front coils, and i got the kit that came with replacement radius arms. the only drop brackets were for the disconnecting crossmember and rear bump stops that got replaced with the ones in the kit.

i know that the general opinion of rough country isnt that good, but so far i havent had issues with the kit. it could be the springs moved from driving on the dirt road i live off of that the county never really takes care of. ill know more once i get it to the shop. either way, im very happy with the power wagon. not sure where you got the idea about me wanting to get rid of it, but i would like to know. i do listen to what others have to say and while most people go with carli or thuren for the suspension, i didnt see any issues at the time i ordered the rough country kit back in may of 2019. if it does fail then ill move over to carli or thuren then.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
where does my history indicate that i would get rid of my truck? i am extremely happy with it. as for the lift kit, i ordered it and had the shop install it. the only spacers on the lift are the 2" spacers on the rear springs. no spacers on the front coils, and i got the kit that came with replacement radius arms. the only drop brackets were for the disconnecting crossmember and rear bump stops that got replaced with the ones in the kit.

i know that the general opinion of rough country isnt that good, but so far i havent had issues with the kit. it could be the springs moved from driving on the dirt road i live off of that the county never really takes care of. ill know more once i get it to the shop. either way, im very happy with the power wagon. not sure where you got the idea about me wanting to get rid of it, but i would like to know. i do listen to what others have to say and while most people go with carli or thuren for the suspension, i didnt see any issues at the time i ordered the rough country kit back in may of 2019. if it does fail then ill move over to carli or thuren then.
Sorry, I was mistaken you with @Meister , your avatars are very similar.

Edit: you also say you haven’t had any issues with your lift. You may be experiencing your first. Premature wear of a part that I have never seen fail before on another truck. I have a Thuren 1.5 lift with King 2.5 shocks. I spent the day today repairing trail damage to the front and underneath. I specifically looked at my spring isolators today. They look like new, they’re correctly clocked and haven’t moved a millimeter. In contrast, RC’s stuff is constantly berated because it’s cheap in its materials and construction with minimal engineering and research into its design. For example, I traded in a Gladiator last week with a Rough country lift on it. The track bar was almost rusted through...in a year. They use the cheapest metal they can find on such an important suspension component, and that’s just one example. You may want to research other lift companies. You’d be surprised at how dramatically your ride will improve as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sorry, I was mistaken you with @Meister , your avatars are very similar.

Edit: you also say you haven’t had any issues with your lift. You may be experiencing your first. Premature wear of a part that I have never seen fail before on another truck. I have a Thuren 1.5 lift with King 2.5 shocks. I spent the day today repairing trail damage to the front and underneath. I specifically looked at my spring isolators today. They look like new, they’re correctly clocked and haven’t moved a millimeter. In contrast, RC’s stuff is constantly berated because it’s cheap in its materials and construction with minimal engineering and research into its design. For example, I traded in a Gladiator last week with a Rough country lift on it. The track bar was almost rusted through...in a year. They use the cheapest metal they can find on such an important suspension component, and that’s just one example. You may want to research other lift companies. You’d be surprised at how dramatically your ride will improve as well.

fixed avatar :p

going to pm you

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
If you’re into the taller look and the Carli system is too short, maybe try the BDS 4” lift. It does look good, but I have no idea about quality or durability.

I personally will go with Carli pintop whenever I lift. Cause performance. Although there is a YouTuber (mrfeeny) that has had a pintop installed about a month now and has developed some kind of abnormal sound in the front end. Maybe something simple, but may be a pain.

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
driver side 1st pic, passenger side 2nd pic. i now know why they make noise. they have shifted and are against the frame of the shock "cup". i also noticed the passenger coil isolator is backwards compared to the driver one. going to choice automotive monday to ask for this to be fixed and the coils to be flipped over in hopes that the slight bending has not ****** them completelty.

@Quick_Shifter

driver.jpg

passenger.jpg

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
driver side 1st pic, passenger side 2nd pic. i now know why they make noise. they have shifted and are against the frame of the shock "cup". i also noticed the passenger coil isolator is backwards compared to the driver one. going to choice automotive monday to ask for this to be fixed and the coils to be flipped over in hopes that the slight bending has not ****** them completelty.

@Quick_Shifter

View attachment 236799

View attachment 236800
That don’t look right

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

@Quick_Shifter

View attachment 236799

View attachment 236800
Post some pics of the radius arms and front end parts track bar, sway bar, drag link

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
wife went to the gas station. will get them when she gets back.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
wife went to the gas station. will get them when she gets back.
As I look at it closer the axle may have rotated. Try to get as much in the pictures I can always zoom in on them. Guts telling me a bushing in the radius arm failed