Consistent fuse Power to dash camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nekroic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am sure there is other post about setting up a dash cam to a consistent power using the fuse box but I wanted to detail my experience.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want about the pictures below but I used Fuse F33 and my truck is the 5th Gen 2019 Laramie. It provides power to my camera even when my truck is turned off. The camera has a safe guard to shut off automatically if my battery gets to low.

Enjoy

Step 1: Buy any camera you want with a fuse power kit.

Step 2: Find the camera location you enjoy. Starting here will let you know exactly how much of the wire you need exposed to plug into your camera. I placed my camera on the passenger side of my rear view mirror so that I do not see it in the driver seat. I know its working and I do not need any distractions while in motion. If i need something from the camera I do it while i'm parked.

20200126_164639.jpg 20200126_164648.jpg

Step 3: Slowly tuck your cables all the way to the driver door frame.

Step 4: Slightly pull on the weather strip around the driver door. This will give you access to pull the cable down the side wall of your truck. Once the strip is off you should be able to work the cable down the plastic without removing anything other than the weather strip.

20200126_164040.jpg

Step 4: I removed the plastic cover under my steering wheel and the side panel near the door. There is two small screws to remove under the steering wheel. After those are out very easy and slowly use a tool or screw driver to pull and pry the panels out. They are in place by plastic snaps. They will come out just take it slow and do one snap point at a time. DO NOT try to remove the whole panel at once.

20200126_164036.jpg 20200126_165052.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nekroic

Nekroic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Step 5: Once the panels are off fish your power kit in your dash till its sitting on your floor mat.

20200126_164033.jpg

Step 6: This is when you need to connect your kit to your fuse box which you can see with a light under the steering wheel. I wanted constant power even when my truck was turned off so I picked fuse F33.

20200126_165058.jpg
20200126_171442.jpg

Step 7: Attach your ground to near by metal. You can see in the picture above in the top left I attached my ground behind that screw that was already in place. You could use anything that has metal but I believe that is going to be the most easy location.

Step 8: TEST YOUR CAMERA!! It should be working right now with the truck off!

Step 9: Snap your panels back on. Put the screws back in place. Confirm no wires are visible and place your weather strip back.

Step 10: Enjoy your done!

I hope this helped and please feel free to ask any questions you have. I will do the best to help where I can. This whole process should take you around an hour to completed!

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I want to do this to my truck as well. And add a radar detector too but all the suction cups tend to fall off the windshield...
Following your build.

Blue Mule

OP
OP
Nekroic

Nekroic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to do this to my truck as well. And add a radar detector too but all the suction cups tend to fall off the windshield...
Following your build.

Blue Mule
@McBroom I used Amazon and ordered some 3M tape that is designed to hold in the heat of a car during summer. We will see how it goes mid July in the south but as of right now I have never had an issue with it.

OP
OP
Nekroic

Nekroic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@RugbyRef Thanks. I had issues finding a good post that assisted me the way I wanted so I created my own.

OP
OP
Nekroic

Nekroic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up and photo documentation Did you use a fuse tap on #33 or was it empty?
@KlatuBaradaNikto No, The fuse was not empty. However, the kit I purchased has the ability to place the fuse from the original location into the head of the fuse kit. The kit lets the system works the same as it did before just now its powering two locations in my truck and not just the original. If you look at the last image on Step 6. you will see the fuses attached to the top of my kit.

Last edited:

KlatuBaradaNikto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Duh. I see it now. A red one on the bottom with a yellow fuse on top. Looks like these are the mini fuse configuration. Thanks

JVs Ram Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you tell me which fuse to tap for "run/acc"? I think I read somewhere it was f66? The dash cam hard wire kit I have, has a wire for constant and another for run/acc.

Jim77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Great in order of photo with notes.
I am not good at electrical setting but i do good work on the dash cam cable.

I bought the Thinkware F200 Pro that comes with 3 wires - Constant power, switch power and ground. Is the switch power goes to F66? and not sure which F# for constant power. Ground wire to metal.
Thanks

combatgrunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
^^^^^

I put the exact one in a few weeks ago both car and truck. You can get the OBD2 cable to power it that’s what I did on wife’s car with a OBD2 splitter.

Jim77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Thinkware F200 Pro Dash Cam

I got a message that the (yellow wire) constant wire goes to F33 and (red wire) switch power goes to F66.

I talked with Thinkware tech about the OBD2 power. He advised me not to use OBD2 because my truck has eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology.
Tech guy would suggest Hardwiring directly to the fuse box.
As he cannot guarantee if it would work with a "Mild Hybrid" system.

Last edited:

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is ever easier to wire if you use the battery pack. That's what I have for my thinkware u1000 makes it so you will not drain your own battery for parking mode. Just a thought