Cooling system / heater observations, cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Notice my new 2019 Tradesman 2500 6.4 operates a bit differently from expected, at least for me. I park it in an unheated shed overnight plugged in (block heater) overnight. Temp in shed drops down to 10F or so, and outside temp can be -20. When I start it up the temp gauge says 50-60 deg F usually, I'll run it outside and close the shed door and let it run for 5 min. As I drive the temp very slowly goes up to 175-180 and stays there, heater works but not really hot air blowing out with heater temp control on max. Acceptable but not really great heat. This is usually a 10-15 minute drive.

Then if I stop and shut off the engine for a while (going for coffee, shopping, etc for an hour or so), when I start it again it only takes a few minutes and the temp is up over 210 deg and lots of heat!

After noticing this, checked the front rad louvres before starting and note they are wide open and remain so until I stop the truck and shut it off. The (rad) fan is also running full tilt as the engine idles before shutting it off. When I come out later and check the louvres are closed (so they are obviously working). Suspect this is why the truck warms up so much faster after the second "start". The louvres seem to stay shut and I don't hear the rad fan when driving after the second start, and temp is stable, and heater will melt us right out of the truck if I leave it on full heat.

Not sure what actuates the louvre system and fan, or how it's set to operate in cold weather like I get here. It certainly stays open in warm weather, haven't had an issue with overheating even pulling heavy trailers etc. Just curious if this cold weather observation is normal? Maybe something needs to be re-programmed or updated?

Did a search, nothing came up about this.