Couple of lighting questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLBP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi guys,

New here, will post my truck in the welcome section anytime soon.

Got my 2016 RAM 1500 a couple of months ago. Yesterday received the OBDlink MX and got the amber DRL's working this morning, which is very cool because where I live (The Netherlands), you don't see this very often.

First question, are there LEDs in the circled area? How do I get these to work properly using Alfa?

And second question, I've seen other trucks around here which have red LED rear turn signals (combined with the breaking lights). Mine are yellow (and not combined with the breaking lights) and located in the transparant area. Is it possible to change them to the red LED's with Alfa or is it a wiring thing?

Thanks a lot!

Lighting.jpg

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like your rear lights were converted for a European standard of separate amber turn signals. Here in the states the brake and turn signal are one and the same(if the turn signal is being used while braking, it flashes on that side instead of on steady). Your transparent area is the reverse light here.
You would have to undo the wiring and BCM signal changes to make the rear lights work the way you want.
I would check your local laws on what is required for the rear brake lights and turn signals before changing anything.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It would be nice if one of these aftermarket tail light manufacturers would make the brake/amber turn conversion LED tails. I think it would look much cleaner than the reverse/amber turn signal conversion.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Some of retrofitted 2019+ tail lights to the 4th Gen trucks. You may be able to do that too.

Either the LED or the regular halogen tail lights would work because they still have the amber turn signals.