Crank issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
installed a new crank shaft in the 5.9 engine im rebuilding. The problem is the crank wont turn once every thing is torqued. the main caps are torqued to 20 fps first then to final torque of 85 fps starting from the center working out while tightening and the crank will turn at that point. The rod bearing caps are torqued to 45 fps in a single step once half of the rods are tightened the crank will not turn any more. These specs came from the manual and the crank came with matching main and rod bearings also every thing got assembly lube applied including all thrust surfaces. I am missing something in this process and its causing a problem. Has any one had this issue before or have any idea's on the cause ?

jimdd810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Plasti gauge the the journals make sure there in spec. You might have the wrong beatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Plasti gauge the the journals make sure there in spec. You might have the wrong beatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do. They should be correct the bearings are the matching set that came with new crank shaft. But its worth a double check thanks.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I helped a guy over on another forum with the same problem, he did not have the rods and caps oriented in the right order for each jug, there is a right and wrong way for the rods and caps to go in, the chamfered side of the rod and cap must face to the outside of the crank journal. So please check your work, and be careful using a Bbar on the crank bolt to turn the motor with, those crank threads are not that strong strip those threads and well....

OP
OP
P

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I helped a guy over on another forum with the same problem, he did not have the rods and caps oriented in the right order for each jug, there is a right and wrong way for the rods and caps to go in, the chamfered side of the rod and cap must face to the outside of the crank journal. So please check your work, and be careful using a Bbar on the crank bolt to turn the motor with, those crank threads are not that strong strip those threads and well....

Ok chamfered side faces the outside of the crank journal thanks. Ill check that since I didn't know that info before. As for the Bbar on the crank you are 100% correct those threads are not very tough that's why I dropped a new crank shaft into the block I unfortunately made that mistake and striped the old one. I decided its easier and better to replace the crank after that rather than have a machine shop rethread my screw up. Lesson learned the hard and expensive way lol