Crappy glued brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kejar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another pair of poorly glued ebrake pads. Seems real common on these 4th gen rams.
My 15 ram only has 50000km on it and I noticed it would occasionally lock up when reversing, someone on this site suggested this may be because of shoe material separation and I believe they were right.
Not that I am cheap but replacing these with more of the same junk seems redundant.
I have done this in the past with satisfactory results so I am going to try it again.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That should work. I would *grind* as much of that rust away with a grinder and a metal disc (not a wire wheel)...it'll get rid of the rust better and give the adhesive more texture to 'bite' onto. The rust will just come back anyway if you don't remove it. If you have a belt sander, remove the shoe from the vehicle and run it over the belt sander, with a course grit belt.

I'm with you ...riveted or 'spiked' backing is a good way to go. But good luck finding riveted pads/shoes anymore.

(..that's a 'shoe' btw...he he) :waytogo:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't know what they use for adhesive but whatever it is it's not very good stuff.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a special adhesive used for brake linings & clutch lining.

Big Container

Small Amount

I've used the 'small amount' above. I used a couple tubes 2yrs ago to custom re-line a clutch which is no longer available. The machine has been in use for 2 years and still holding good. It cures to an almost glass-like hardness. Doesn't seem affected by temperature. But for $25 you might as well buy new brake shoes. The large container I believe you have to heat-cure. That's extra work. And gives off an odor.

The epoxy you have will probably work just fine. But do a real good job prepping the surfaces. You can't apply glue over rust and expect it to last.

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't blame the adhesive, it's not it's fault.

It's called rust jacking and it's a symptom of the environment. If they were riveted SHOES they likely would hold on a touch longer but then break into several pieces.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Don't blame the adhesive, it's not it's fault.

It's called rust jacking and it's a symptom of the environment. If they were riveted SHOES they likely would hold on a touch longer but then break into several pieces.

Came here to say this^^, as soon as I saw his picture. Rust jacking is exactly what's going on here. And 8-9 yrs of winters didn't help.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My opinion FWIW is anyone planning on doing a brake job on the rear brakes on older Rams should probably plan on replacing the parking brake shoes as well. (The PB hardware should probably be replaced as well.)

This rust jacking bit appears to be a common issue.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Since parking brakes are rarely used plus they don't make heat to boil off the moisture that the organic compounds absorb, you could probably say it's the nature of the beast. Some hold up longer if they're coated when manufactured.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OReillys and Autozone will literally replace brake shoes like that with a smile on their face if you bought them there. Maybe other parts stores will too. The same thing orccurs with brake "pads" too. Esp rear wheel brake pads here in the salty north.

I've literally brought it up to the OReilly's counter guy in passing conversation as I was buying something once, long time ago. How the pad friction material rusted off the backing plate and he tapped away on the computer (I wasn't sure what he was doing), walked back and then handed me a new of 'same quality' pads w/o ever asking to see my old ones. (he did verify that I bought them there). No questions asked, smile on their face. "Here you go, so sorry to hear about your old pads, hopefully you'll have better luck with these.

None of the usual stammering that NAPA around here gives ya: "....ohhh I don't knoooooww [deep sigh] ...we really don't usually do that. Do you have your receipt (from 4yrs ago??, I have an account and getting them to look someting up more than 2 weeks old is like pulling teeth), ...Bring them in, so we can look them over ...I'll have to ask my manager when he's in here tomorrow afternoon." None of that from OReilly's. I love OReilly's for that reason ...and Autozone seems to be as good IME. On returns, they don't make you feel like you're taking warm milk away from a starving baby like NAPA does (Napa around here anyway). That's why I buy a lot more from them than Napa nowadays.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ultimately if ya buy pads from mfgrs where the friction material is "pressed" onto steel fingers/barbs (and glued), the 'barbs' keep the friction material from falling off as quick. I honestly don't know which companies are doing that nowadays and which don't anymore. I think Raybestos does. Maybe someone else can chime in.