TRQ brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I've used TRQ parts before (thru 1aauto) to replace almost the entire suspension on my wife's '09 Jeep Liberty: struts, shocks, front UCAs and LCAs (including BJs and bushings), rear LCAs; as well as front drive shaft, and front and rear brake pads and rotors. The quality and fitment seemed fine, and 5k miles later all seems to still be going strong.

My Ram needed new brakes, so I decided to get TRQ parts again. However, upon inspecting the rotors that I was sent, I noticed this groove partially around the circumference of the driver side rotor. It is not present on the passenger side rotor, nor on either of the rear rotors they sent me. So, I requested an exchange from 1aauto and the new one they sent has this groove, too?!

Am I just being an@l or does this appear to be some sort of manufacturing defect and I just got unlikely twice in a row? I'm just worried it could cause vibrations at high speed or premature wear given that it narrows the rotor surface (albeit just slightly). I don't see a practical purpose for the factory to cut/grind out this portion of rotor.

IMG_3300[1].JPG

Last edited:

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What you are looking at is called a "lightening cut". It is metal that is removed to balance the rotor. No biggie, no issue. Normal machining operation.

OP
OP
Duuplo

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
App
What you are looking at is called a "lightening cut". It is metal that is removed to balance the rotor. No biggie, no issue. Normal machining operation.
Appreciate the insight and reassurance.