Dash Front main replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As most will know with these 2nd gen Dodge Rams is the horrible plastic that was used for the whole dashboard as well the main part they attach to. As I have been on a time consuming adventure of finding the parts I need to fix this problem.As some will know people on Ebay are robbing people for the main piece that nothing more then plastic which at best weights maybe 10lbs charging over $400 just in shipping cost.
I myself found a decent one in local junk yard but did the stupid and dropped the daughter trunk lid on it so that killer $40 dollar deal when to piecesbut I have found another truck that i will be going to look at tomorrow. The only thing I do have to make sure of with this dash is that the 98 puts the air bag switch on the bottom side of the dash where the 99 has it located on the top. They look the same but I just need to make sure they will match up size wise. The truck actually looks go but the motor is seized up. I am going to ask if it was a oil issue or from sitting? I'm not real fond of 4x4 but if its worth it. I may just buy the truck as a whole and see if It maybe can be a matter of just soaking the motor and getting it to crank or do a junk yard motor and replace it? If my daughter is onboard doing this. This may become a another truck to fix to drive and I just will continue my hunt for another dash. We will see.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Good luck on the hunt. Too bad the “deal” you had got smashed. I would want to cry and cuss at the same time. They’re hard to find, but not impossible.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try LMC Truck.

If you get on original dash out of a junker, you'll have the same problems as the one you're replacing. The new upper dash pad I bought from the dealer probably 10 years ago is holding up much better than the factory one did in my 2001.

You're going to pay more for shipping because of size not weight.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck on the hunt. Too bad the “deal” you had got smashed. I would want to cry and cuss at the same time. They’re hard to find, but not impossible.
I agree. Its hard enough to find a dash main that broken in one way or another. I believe if anything, it will take little to no modification to make this work. Mainly the right side where they removed the 12 volt charger to replace with air bag key and making the old spot a storage spot. I can't get a real good idea since that part is pretty much toast on the truck I have. Yeah i did want to cry and scream but it was my own fault for just letting it go.lol but can't cry over spilled milk as they say.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try LMC Truck.

If you get on original dash out of a junker, you'll have the same problems as the one you're replacing. The new upper dash pad I bought from the dealer probably 10 years ago is holding up much better than the factory one did in my 2001.

You're going to pay more for shipping because of size not weight.
Nobody including LMC makes this part unfortunately. This part is your main bottom and air bag part with framing around for the top and bezel to attach to. I will be getting the top part from LMC because I believe they have a better product. I have the bezel already.
As to length affecting cost. That holds some truth but I have had things shipped around the same with even a little more weight ship at a better price. I have noticed over the years seller abusing this method to put a little more cash in their pocket at the buyers. I could see cost if it included the metal frame but not for just plastic.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some sell what i would call garbage

LMC & Geno'sGarage sell a better product

check out this company, i believe that they sell a quality product

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see some keep going back to the top cover/dash. What I am getting or trying is whats below that. This is the main dash from the lower to the top with the part you put the instrument cluster . This is no longer available to buy other then finding a donor truck with one that at least 90% there. I have some pictures showing what I mean. The dash cover it's self screws into it, then you can attach the bezel to that. Last picture is the donor dash that I am going to go see tomorrow. All along the top is gone on mine. This one has one spot that is cracked all the way through by the air control that I will epoxy and cut a piece of metal to attach behind for added strength.

The only thing is that you have to remove this very gentle or it's game over and back to looking. You would think even though it cheap plastic, it would be in better shape being hidden from the sun but nope, its just as brittle. Everything bolts to this even the air bag and glove compartment hinges on this piece frame. Basically this is the whole bottom piece up to the top. I'm just not sure what is the name since its a part of the dash over all. You have three parts. Dash top, bezel and main. The truck has a frozen motor but I am almost attempted for the right price by the whole truck. I'm just not fond of 4x4 due to cost if transmission or transfer case if they are bad but don't know their condition? The truck its self doesn't look bad at all but you can tell the bed was replaced because the truck is blue and the bed is white like mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_102215064.jpg
    IMG_20211201_102215064.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211201_205503246.jpg
    IMG_20211201_205503246.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211201_205513081.jpg
    IMG_20211201_205513081.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211201_205540733.jpg
    IMG_20211201_205540733.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211201_205701078.jpg
    IMG_20211201_205701078.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 261881379_602732561036748_6578762597189646946_n.jpg
    261881379_602732561036748_6578762597189646946_n.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
My son just went through this. Have to say, the kid is good at doing this tedious crap......as long as it doesn’t involve a stereo.

SKinnaird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MY A/C evap core and fan are not working. I asked 2 different shops to replace them and both said no. Claiming that the dash breakes to easy and they don't want to touch it.
I ordered the evap core, heater core and new blower motor with fan from Rockauto and will be replacing them myself.
The crazy idea I have is to not put the factory dash back in. I am a wookworker and will try and build a custom dash with a all new Autometer gauges. Will be interesting to say the least, but I'm willing to try. Will start a build thread as I progress through the project.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MY A/C evap core and fan are not working. I asked 2 different shops to replace them and both said no. Claiming that the dash breakes to easy and they don't want to touch it.
I ordered the evap core, heater core and new blower motor with fan from Rockauto and will be replacing them myself.
The crazy idea I have is to not put the factory dash back in. I am a wookworker and will try and build a custom dash with a all new Autometer gauges. Will be interesting to say the least, but I'm willing to try. Will start a build thread as I progress through the project.
Excited to see what you can come up with. If someone doesn’t start making these, this kind of stuff will be the only option.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see some keep going back to the top cover/dash. What I am getting or trying is whats below that. This is the main dash from the lower to the top with the part you put the instrument cluster . This is no longer available to buy other then finding a donor truck with one that at least 90% there. I have some pictures showing what I mean. The dash cover it's self screws into it, then you can attach the bezel to that. Last picture is the donor dash that I am going to go see tomorrow. All along the top is gone on mine. This one has one spot that is cracked all the way through by the air control that I will epoxy and cut a piece of metal to attach behind for added strength.

The only thing is that you have to remove this very gentle or it's game over and back to looking. You would think even though it cheap plastic, it would be in better shape being hidden from the sun but nope, its just as brittle. Everything bolts to this even the air bag and glove compartment hinges on this piece frame. Basically this is the whole bottom piece up to the top. I'm just not sure what is the name since its a part of the dash over all. You have three parts. Dash top, bezel and main. The truck has a frozen motor but I am almost attempted for the right price by the whole truck. I'm just not fond of 4x4 due to cost if transmission or transfer case if they are bad but don't know their condition? The truck its self doesn't look bad at all but you can tell the bed was replaced because the truck is blue and the bed is white like mine.
I will eventually have to do this myself. Not having defrost in the winter time really sucks, but I’m afraid to do my heater core.

When the time comes, I am planning to coat the entire backside of mine in a layer of fiberglass. That way every piece of it is protected from future breakage. If you only brace the part that is already broken, then the areas adjacent to that will be the next thing to crack.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you roll it gently, you should be able to replace what you need. I did the heater core maybe 8 yrs ago and it went fine. cracks started a few years after that. I have notice most of the trucks found suffer the same damage. If the break isn't as bad. I'm sure the cover that has the full attachment for the bezel would fix the problem but when you have a huge part of the main damaged like mine, Its almost impossible to have something for the top to tie into. You would think since Dodge has this mold, they would either sell the part or allow other to do it. This part is pretty much most of the dash structure. Paying $800 from ebay for what is known to be defective just doesnt seem feesible

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to see that. I'm a wood worker as well but can't imagine trying that. I did think of maybe trying to make a wood piece to go across the top but it would mean a lot of work to follow the curves. I tried to epoxy the broken parts from the one I broke and it was a disaster. Its like nothing works to keep them together. I even duck tape over the broken pieces after epoxy and it didn't work. I guess duck tape doesn't fix everything. lol My thought was you wouldn't see it so why not?.

Blambram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 AND 1999
Engine
5.9 AND 5.2
Good day and my prayers go out to you for even attempting this. I can tell you from my experience with your project that if you have the patience of Jobe and a dremel ,you can fabricate portions of that dash board . some drywall patch panels that have metal in them are easily bent and formed to the dash and covered with either fiberglass or epoxy will work you just have to be " VERY " DELICATE with it . I did a gen 1 with fiberglass fill in and it held up ok and I am working on a 99 and I still have a lot of this stuff to do. if you do wood work ,try using those foam bricks floral foam to create potions ,you can shave it to form then coat with epoxy resin.

Blambram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 AND 1999
Engine
5.9 AND 5.2
If you can take out the entire dash as 1 piece it makes it easier to tackle the job of the heater, ac condenser ,It is a bear but with two people and a lot of care it can be done. Dodge made this so you take it out as a single unit wiring and all .

Blambram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 AND 1999
Engine
5.9 AND 5.2
if you do make a replacement of your own making I would love to see it maybe a prototype for a new enterprise,MAYBE

SKinnaird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can take out the entire dash as 1 piece it makes it easier to tackle the job of the heater, ac condenser ,It is a bear but with two people and a lot of care it can be done. Dodge made this so you take it out as a single unit wiring and all .
That is my intention.
Hoping that I can still drive it without the dash installed. Would make it easier to test fit the wooden replacement dash.

Blambram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 AND 1999
Engine
5.9 AND 5.2
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.......

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please post pictures of the progress. I would love to see it. I had to side track my project due to some electrical issues in my house so I have to hope in the next couple of weeks that truck I'm looking at will still be available. Otherwise the looking will continue. Thankful I'm not having to rush.