DavidRam's 1st Audio Build... EVER! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!! Can you get one more? What is the length of the shoulder of the basket before it tapers in to the magnet? (make sense?) And also the length of the magnet...

I want to make a paper template of the profile so I can see if I can make it fit.

Oh I see, I'll get better more later today.

Iam excited for you!
This will sound sweet! It'll have a lot of fun factor!

Thanks! I have had alot of nice cars with good sound systems, but this will be my first really good aftermarket system ever. A little late at 39 yrs old, but whatever... lol!

Also, I was looking at the size of my regular cab vs the size of the two subs... :shocked:
I think these subs are going to rearrange my internal organs!

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I see, I'll get better more later today.

Thanks! I have had alot of nice cars with good sound systems, but this will be my first really good aftermarket system ever. A little late at 39 yrs old, but whatever... lol!

Also, I was looking at the size of my regular cab vs the size of the two subs... :shocked:

I think these subs are going to rearrange my internal organs!

Haha. Same here I'm 41. Not in high school anymore. But oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will be surprised how a good sub will blend with everything instead of just being a bass heavy monster.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^^^^ what he said.

Crazy what a low distortion sub with a flat response actually sounds like compared to what the majority of us are used to hearing.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More dimensions in the pics below, I hope this helps:

Here are the dimensions I posted previously
Total Diameter = 12 1/2"
Sub Enclosure Opening Needed = 11 1/4"
Total Depth = 6 1/8"
Mounting Depth = 5 5/8"
Magnet Diameter = 7 1/2"

Attachments

• IMG_20141009_102445_620.jpg
    IMG_20141009_102445_620.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20141009_102528_573.jpg
    IMG_20141009_102528_573.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20141009_102618_591.jpg
    IMG_20141009_102618_591.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kinda weird... 310Kreations called me back yesterday to tell me that they couldn't do install until 10/27, in 3 weeks! They were all hot to trot when I spoke to them last week... So I changed my plans.

Found another shop with great Yelp reviews. I just went and hung out with them for 30 minutes and they are gonna install on Monday. But only install and wiring. I am gonna do the fit and finish work and sound deadening. I wanted to do more of the work myself, so I am happy about this. :)

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda weird... 310Kreations called me back yesterday to tell me that they couldn't do install until 10/27, in 3 weeks! They were all hot to trot when I spoke to them last week... So I changed my plans.

Found another shop with great Yelp reviews. I just went and hung out with them for 30 minutes and they are gonna install on Monday. But only install and wiring. I am gonna do the fit and finish work and sound deadening. I wanted to do more of the work myself, so I am happy about this. :)

Damn that sucks wondering if they found a few jobs where client is buying everything from them. Well anyways regardless that kinda pretty crappy of them to not hold your appointment.
Have you figured out what sound deadener you will be using? Remember when doing this shoot to cover 30-50% of surfaces that can resonate so you aren't wasting time and material.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that sucks wondering if they found a few jobs where client is buying everything from them. Well anyways regardless that kinda pretty crappy of them to not hold your appointment.
Have you figured out what sound deadener you will be using? Remember when doing this shoot to cover 30-50% of surfaces that can resonate so you aren't wasting time and material.

Yes, kinda ****** of them...

Regarding the sound deadener, I wanted to take some time and discuss that with you guys! I feel better about doing this part myself, because no shop is gonna take the time to do it to my standards.

Does anyone care to post some really good tips for awesome sound deadening??? :naughty:

What to buy (brand, how much, where to buy it)?

How to install it (where in the cab, various methods, tricks and tips)?

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Buncha f****** stupid a** d*** head pieces of s*** f******* son of a b**** a** c*** sucking mother f*****. Man I swear, f*** that s***.

But seriously, I think u will get a better level of pride and enjoyment knowing you have done a decent amount of the work yourself.

As far as deadener, I always use second skin. Nice price to performance ratio.

I would check out sounddeadenershowdown.com for all your deadening questions.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But seriously, I think u will get a better level of pride and enjoyment knowing you have done a decent amount of the work yourself.

As far as deadener, I always use second skin. Nice price to performance ratio.

I would check out sounddeadenershowdown.com for all your deadening questions.

EXACTLY!!! I have had a hand in every mod on my truck so far and the audio, despite my lack of experience, should be no different.

Thanks for the link, I'll get to reading! :hmm:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, kinda ****** of them...

Regarding the sound deadener, I wanted to take some time and discuss that with you guys! I feel better about doing this part myself, because no shop is gonna take the time to do it to my standards.

Does anyone care to post some really good tips for awesome sound deadening??? :naughty:

What to buy (brand, how much, where to buy it)?

How to install it (where in the cab, various methods, tricks and tips)?

I like stinger road kill, but like I said before the main reason I buy it is I can get it locally from shop here. I have also heard great things about RAAMat with there deadening and ensolite combo and I will probably be using that in my wifes car because there is so much more area to cover.
You will be looking at at least one bulk pack which most companies sell about 40 sqft in their packs.
Where to put it in your truck depends on what you tap on and hear resonace. I have my doors dampend pretty heavily in the metal in the door the inner door card and the door card itself. I also have squares on the floor of the cab and the back wall. I want to do the roof of the cab one day but that'll be down the road some time. Use a wood handled roller to apply this as the plastic handled rollers break usually in the first ten minutes of using it lol.
I would be looking into Mass Loaded Vynl (MLV). This will kill a ton of road noise when hung properly and seperate the back waves from the front in your speakers so they will sound clearer. I don't have a source for the real stuff but Home Depot has an acoustical barrier made for homes that works really well for this purpose. Bradknob has a great writup on how he did the doors with the Home Depot stuff.
Thats about all I can think of right now but if I remember something I'll post it up for you.

Edit Brad has a great suggestion with that website he quoted it is a great resource.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've see a lot of that guys work on DIYMA. He's a cot damn wizard when it comes to custom pods and and panels. Top notch work.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a guy out of Cerritos CA REVIEW: JT Audio and Accessories (Los Angeles, CA Area) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
If you are looking for someone to do your install.

I've see a lot of that guys work on DIYMA. He's a cot damn wizard when it comes to custom pods and and panels. Top notch work.

Thanks for that!!! :favorites13:
I am gonna use this local guy I met this morning, he has a really nice, big shop, get great reviews on Yelp and is able to get me in on Monday.

I would love to do most of the work myself, the only thing I really do NOT want to touch is the electrical and wiring...

Installation begins at 8:30 on Monday morning and should be done in the afternoon! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so all the components are in! Buuuuut, there is some work yet to do...

Since we had the seats out we did lots of sound deadening in the floor, so that's done.

Everything sounds pretty good, but it obviously needs some tuning. I did not pay them for the time to do this, so it's on me. Time to go to tuning school! :) He did play around briefly with the amps and the audio control lcq1 and I was amazed at how adjustable the sound is!

Also, I don't like how the tweeters look on the door sails, they seem to be slightly facing down because of how they were positioned (that was my mistake).

The sub enclosures fit really good and Helix subs are very loud, almost overwhelming for the little cab! It's beyond hearing-loss and in the realm of brain-damage, lol!!! But they hit very clean and tight, just the way I like it.

The installation was relatively clean, but there are a few little adjustments that my O.C.D. self will need to make. Most importantly there is no damage to my truck! I hovered over them the entire time, which I am sure they were very happy about, haha!

I'll get some pics soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith