Dealer feeding me bs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Nice. How much was the northstar agm? I've never tried agm before as I've generally have had good luck with the Kirkland lead acid from costco. The 4% cashback plus warranty has always been a good incentive. I bought a pair of 6v golfcart gc2 batteries for the rv and they've been excellent! Just have to make sure you dont allow them to discharge beyond 50% and top them off once in a while. They've been sitting in my basement since Nov and still are holding 12.75v.

Northstar also builds the batteriesPlus X2 Battery.
Just a rebrand.

good bettery, so too is East Penn/Dekka. A lot of truckers (Owner/.Operators) run Dekka's because the last.
O'Reilly's batteries are East Penn. so too Duracell at sams club.

if you want to knwo who makes what battery, read the safety data or hazmat sheets.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Replaced my 630 with that one also no more blanket

Agreed on ditching the blanket - the stuff just turns to mouse nesting material anyway. :/

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might try clipping on a digital voltmeter to the battery, note the value then start the truck, note the value again, then load that battery/charging system and note those values. By "loading" I mean turn on the hi-beam headlights, then the A/C, and so on. If your voltage regulation system is working properly, the voltage should stay up. If it drops too much, the reg. is faulty and may not be charging your battery. Also, make sure your battery terminals are and stay clean---the charging system may be fine, but a bad connection to the battery may hose it all up. Corroded grounds were a common problem overseas in the tropics. If this seems too elementary, don't be insulted, there could be someone less experienced who reads this and benefits. And I have to wonder if the new LED-type headlights really are much of a load, like the old-timey ones were, hmmm. Happy Trails

I do not see my LED's on MY 19 as much of a load as they used to be with older standard.......... and fer giggles, used my Blue Driver, and my charging on MY 19 staying at 14.5 // 14.6...

If it wasn't so nasty out, I would go to garage and fer chits/giggles put on my old *** Craftsman gauges with amp reader, and that 40 year old gauge cluster has always been spot on, lol... Tho 14.9 seems a lil high...

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Optima was terrific, right up till they got bought out and shipped everything to MExico.
I guess the original owner put in the optima battery-and also bought a 5yr extended warranty that carried over. Kudos to the dealership that I bought it from-I dont know if they had to tell me about the warranty-5yrs extra at that-and i guess they could have swapped out the optima for a cheaper used one- how would I know? I guess all dealerships are not alike--some are very honest and upfront and I will go back to mine when i need to. For maintenance however-I will stay with my mechanic--he is great and knows Rams very well as he owns one -and about half the price of dealerships! LOL

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. How much was the northstar agm? I've never tried agm before as I've generally have had good luck with the Kirkland lead acid from costco. The 4% cashback plus warranty has always been a good incentive. I bought a pair of 6v golfcart gc2 batteries for the rv and they've been excellent! Just have to make sure you dont allow them to discharge beyond 50% and top them off once in a while. They've been sitting in my basement since Nov and still are holding 12.75v.

I was able to get a discount because of where I worked and I believe the price was around $380 plus taxes and which made it around $430 ... I just traded my 2017 in on a new 2020 Longhorn but I left the Northstar in the 2017 ... If anything happens to the OEM battery in my new truck, I will not hesitate to buy another Northstar ... I know the price is a lot, but, you get what you pay for, and that battery was in two trucks with all kinds of electronics ...

OP
OP
raff18

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
Small but kinda big update.....
So I went to the dealer and my salesman and I grabbed 10 sets of 2019 warlock keys. Three 2020 warlocks. They all were hemi’s and all had less than 28 Km’s(18 miles). Everyone of them all showed 14.9v and all of them had there battery gauge over the halfway point. Sooooo I guess these trucks like to run high on the voltage.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So I'm guessing you are dealing with Doyal? Laurentian has the worst techs. I've never stepped foot in the one in Capreol, but I hear they are good to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk