Dealer Service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW if your paying about $195 an hour labor my suggestion is find a new mechanic or get the hell out of New York.
Jay
I agree 110% 195$ a hr :O we average 55/75 $ with some at 90$ ! I am luck to have a good dealer with fair prices, BUT have 2 local guys I use for non warranty work !

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed. I do my oil changes, but for the rare times the hoses need to be changed, I'd rather pay to let someone else waddle in the coolant and dispose of it, unless money is tight.

I have no problem with someone paying for something like that, just that they would do it at the dealer!

WOW if your paying about $195 an hour labor my suggestion is find a new mechanic or get the hell out of New York.
Jay

Haha yeah that's pretty high, have to assume he meant $95. I live in NY and that I could certainly believe, haven't seen anything near double that ever.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have no problem with someone paying for something like that, just that they would do it at the dealer!

Yep, I'd use a small shop, and have all the time over the years. Rarely have work done at the dealer, unless it's under warranty.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I'd use a small shop, and have all the time over the years. Rarely have work done at the dealer, unless it's under warranty.

That's good to hear, and I basically do the same thing, doesn't hurt that my cousin owns a garage in town so the only thing I'd ever go to the dealer for is warranty work as well.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealerships hourly rate must vary a lot by region, I think here in Austin it's just a hair over $100 pr. hour.
Jay

Jim Murdock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Depends on how much money you want to throw away. Do you have any tools? If you can’t get a good prices on hoses locally, try on line. If you can’t do that, find someone that can do it at a reasonable rate. I have started using the Vocational School next town over, I buy the parts and the students have a certified instructor that will look over their work. I always give a donation, but the labor has no charge. Try it you might like it.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Just talked to the dealer about a hose replacement on my 2013 Ram 1500 w/112K miles, was quoted $230.00 just for changing the hoses! Is that normal for two hoses? Wow!
That Sucks. I can’t believe it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing I have found if you take the time to get to know some of the techs at a dealership, some of them might do little side jobs to supplement their income. They usually charge a fraction of what the dealership would charge. It might be worth checking out at your local dealership.
Jay

Craig G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have to agree do the heater hoses same time. Sounds pretty reasonable dealer price though

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. I do my oil changes, but for the rare times the hoses need to be changed, I'd rather pay to let someone else waddle in the coolant and dispose of it, unless money is tight.
I dispose of it in the ground lol