Dealership Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
you need to rephrase that because the weight of the oil to use isnt determined by the model of truck but by the engine size. pretty sure a 2500 with a 5.7 will not be using 0w40

I think you know what was meant or you wouldn’t have felt a need to try n correct me.
I always use my truck as my example. If your not sure of what it is then check my signature.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you know what was meant or you wouldn’t have felt a need to try n correct me.
I always use my truck as my example. If your not sure of what it is then check my signature.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

i knew what you meant but others reading it might not, so there for that was the need for the correction. somewhere down the road someones going to feel they got ripped off by the dealership because their 2500 came with a 5.7

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
i knew what you meant but others reading it might not, so there for that was the need for the correction. somewhere down the road someones going to feel they got ripped off by the dealership because their 2500 came with a 5.7

Common sense is a virtue... some have it and most never will.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

DKSDonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a brand new 2018 Ram 1500 in February with 19 miles.

It came with 6 oil changes up until I reach 30k miles.

When they do these oil changes will they just use standard oil or can you ask them to use full synthetic?
My dealer told me that they use PUP and that is was a synthetic blend but wasn't positive. They have to use the proper weights per application. 5W-20, 0W-20, etc.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
From my '18 CTD diesel supp. Here in WY we get about a month of sub zeros, so it's 5w40 for me all the time

View attachment 163678
In my 2000 Cummins I put about 1/4 to 1/3 5-40 syn. and 15-40 dino in for cold weather starts. My motor makes too much noise with 100% syn. and I'm curious do you notice that in your newer Cummins?

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
The widely varying responses here make me think its a crap shoot what oil you get going to the dealer. I suspect it varies by dealer and talking to the technician would be the only way to know for sure what you're getting. Kind of reinforces those of us in the do-it-yourself camp. If you have a 3.6 beware the aluminum drain plug and tight quarters getting cartridge filter/cover off. I've had to replace the drain plug using an EZ-out socket to get the original off, had a broken bypass valve at top of filter stem, and had to get a special socket to fit oil filter cover, all-in-all the most difficult oil change vehicle I've ever experienced. The last change I had broken plastic finger tabs on the Microguard oil filter, evidently went down into the engine. Hopefully K&N filters are better, Amazon has a great price on them so I bought 3. And then there's the o'rings - once lost 5 quarts of oil on my Crossfire because the o'ring didn't seat right, luckily engine held 8 quarts. I'm not a fan of the German design of oil filters. If the dealer has experienced people doing these oil changes and uses synthetic oil, might be worth it to use them to avoid the hassle of the 3.6 oil change.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for trusting the dealer you never know which is why I normally do my own but for the warranty I know they want the truck to update computers and read codes. They did a flash and it caused my Sirius radio to shut down for a couple days before coming back online.

OH MAN! Those "updates" pi$$ me off to no end!
I wish they'd just leave my flippin' truck alone! "Safety" Be Damned! I know what's good for me!
It's MY truck, and NOBODY can do Jack $hit to it without my permission or without me understanding 100% what the change entails and EXACTLY what features I will lose with the update!

My last Ram was RUINED when they "updated" my radio/NAV system without my permission, let alone I lost multiple years worth of saved/favorite places in the NAV, a few of which were in the middle of the woods in northern MI. which I was NEVER be able to find again.
The Ram I own now has that ridiculous "can't move the vehicle with the door open" BULLCRAP update just because some dumba$$e$ don't know how to put the truck in park before exiting the vehicle.
Some "updates" which they (the dealers) force down my throat take away features I personally REALLY LIKE, and without them, I honestly don't like the truck as much as I used to.
Why won't they just allow STUPID PEOPLE TO DIE!?!
Darwin's theory needs to have the weak and idiotic go bye-bye for the whole thing to work properly and the idiots need to clear themselves out of the gene pool one way or another. Might as well be while driving!
Quit taking away features the truck I BOUGHT came with! Do whatever stupid crap you want with the showroom new ones, but THIS ONE IS MINE!
I don't give a crap if you think you know what is better for me than I do or not; YOU DON'T!
:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:biggun::fca5278d::favorites68::Jedi::hunter::shooter::upyours::weld::killer::gr_guns::beatdeadhorse5:

You see, I told you it made me mad! LoL...

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
In my 2000 Cummins I put about 1/4 to 1/3 5-40 syn. and 15-40 dino in for cold weather starts. My motor makes too much noise with 100% syn. and I'm curious do you notice that in your newer Cummins?

Being my first diesel, I wouldn't know a noisy one if it bit me on the **** haha. I only have 4500 miles on it and not even shure if it is Dino or Syn oil in it to compare

By the way ya'll what is PUP, that one I haven't heard of

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OH MAN! Those "updates" pi$$ me off to no end!
I wish they'd just leave my flippin' truck alone! "Safety" Be Damned! I know what's good for me!
It's MY truck, and NOBODY can do Jack $hit to it without my permission or without me understanding 100% what the change entails and EXACTLY what features I will lose with the update!

My last Ram was RUINED when they "updated" my radio/NAV system without my permission, let alone I lost multiple years worth of saved/favorite places in the NAV, a few of which were in the middle of the woods in northern MI. which I was NEVER be able to find again.
The Ram I own now has that ridiculous "can't move the vehicle with the door open" BULLCRAP update just because some dumba$$e$ don't know how to put the truck in park before exiting the vehicle.
Some "updates" which they (the dealers) force down my throat take away features I personally REALLY LIKE, and without them, I honestly don't like the truck as much as I used to.
Why won't they just allow STUPID PEOPLE TO DIE!?!
Darwin's theory needs to have the weak and idiotic go bye-bye for the whole thing to work properly and the idiots need to clear themselves out of the gene pool one way or another. Might as well be while driving!
Quit taking away features the truck I BOUGHT came with! Do whatever stupid crap you want with the showroom new ones, but THIS ONE IS MINE!
I don't give a crap if you think you know what is better for me than I do or not; YOU DON'T!
:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:biggun::fca5278d::favorites68::Jedi::hunter::shooter::upyours::weld::killer::gr_guns::beatdeadhorse5:

You see, I told you it made me mad! LoL...
Ohhhhhhh damnnnnnnnn, tell us how you REALLY feel...rotfflmfao... i hear ya buddy, i feel the same way.
Take my vehicles in for a simple oil change, WHA LAAAAA, come out of there with a steering an interior full of grease, and a ****** up truck runnin like ****. It infuriates me to know end.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a brand new 2018 Ram 1500 in February with 19 miles.

It came with 6 oil changes up until I reach 30k miles.

When they do these oil changes will they just use standard oil or can you ask them to use full synthetic?

Just go to walmart, buy the pennzoil full synthetic (5w20). Get your MOPAR oil filter there too.
I actually buy the Mobil1 filter, its a better filter than the OEM filter.

After your done with your (unknown unconfirmed dealership bulk oil) freebie`s, i would advise leaving THEIR oil in THEIR barrels!
Why pay more at the dealer for your oil & filters when you can get it for a lot less at walmart, and YOU KNOW EXACTLY whats being put in your truck.

And sometimes we pay more for the unnecessary. Just plain ole pennzoil synthetic is more than qualified for these hemi truck engines.
And SRT hemi would be a different story. I would only recommend the pennzoil ultra for the SRT vehicles. Anything else is just a waste of money in a hemi truck.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...88ed291215c/PNZ-Comparison-Chart-2018-API.pdf

ohiobf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is it me or do most people go to the dealership for oil changes? This 3rd time I've done a oli change in my 2018 Dodge ram 1500. Who was lead engineer that put oil filter location in the ******** spot? i want to email dodge and tell them who was doing drugs that day! my 2007 Dodge truck had the Hemi also the oil filter was in much better location to get at. The same engine basically just 11 years difference. Why make it more difficult for the guys working on the trucks at the dealership or worse the home mechanic who doesn't trust the dealer!! I would love to email Dodge tell them to screw themselves!!! The other thing is no dipstick for the transmission. These engineers need to get their heads out of their ass. Does it void warranty to put a oil filter relocation on the truck?

I soooooooo agree on the filter location....what a PITA!

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my first change today (1st of 4 freebies), looks like they used a blend.

6caYC1i.jpg

Russ

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Being my first diesel, I wouldn't know a noisy one if it bit me on the **** haha. I only have 4500 miles on it and not even shure if it is Dino or Syn oil in it to compare

By the way ya'll what is PUP, that one I haven't heard of
The newer Cummins are a lot quieter than the 5.9 so I would go with what the manual says.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just go to walmart, buy the pennzoil full synthetic (5w20). Get your MOPAR oil filter there too.
I actually buy the Mobil1 filter, its a better filter than the OEM filter.

After your done with your (unknown unconfirmed dealership bulk oil) freebie`s, i would advise leaving THEIR oil in THEIR barrels!
Why pay more at the dealer for your oil & filters when you can get it for a lot less at walmart, and YOU KNOW EXACTLY whats being put in your truck.

And sometimes we pay more for the unnecessary. Just plain ole pennzoil synthetic is more than qualified for these hemi truck engines.
And SRT hemi would be a different story. I would only recommend the pennzoil ultra for the SRT vehicles. Anything else is just a waste of money in a hemi truck.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...88ed291215c/PNZ-Comparison-Chart-2018-API.pdf

Everyone here seems to like the Pennzoil brand. Any particular reason?
Back when I was taking a heavy equipment class (excavators, loaders, dozers, etc...) we got into the SAE ratings and independent quality tests of tons of different brands of oils. For the "mineral" oils (dinosaur poop as I call it) Pennzoil brand continuously tested as being one of the highest ash-content oils on the open market. FWIW, higher ash content oils can lead to ring seizing, premature filter plugging, higher combustion deposits on piston tops, excessive cylinder sleeve scuffing, etc... Once you have caused those kinds of wear to occur, you will be stuck using the high-ash oils to keep those defects "plugged" with ash deposits.
I'm not sure if this statement would be true for the full synthetic Pennzoil, but it would definitely be something I would look into.
I also have heard that higher ash content is really not good when using the newer/low sulfur diesel fuels.

Ironically, as a teenager, I use to work at a local Pennzoil Quik Oil Change place, but I never used their oil when I would bring my own car in the bay to change the oil (had a '67 Mustang Coupe back then).
:happy160:

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like pennzoil, it keeps the hemi happy and quiet, and its what RAM recommends, so i`ll keep using it. And if my engine fails, they have to find a good reason to disqualify me because i follow their recommendations in the lubrication of my trucks. So, thats the better reason why i use pennzoil. Surly your thoughts of pennzoil came from a long time ago. Oils are a bit different today, and i believe, they are much much better quality today than they use to be.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone here seems to like the Pennzoil brand. Any particular reason?
Back when I was taking a heavy equipment class (excavators, loaders, dozers, etc...) we got into the SAE ratings and independent quality tests of tons of different brands of oils. For the "mineral" oils (dinosaur poop as I call it) Pennzoil brand continuously tested as being one of the highest ash-content oils on the open market. FWIW, higher ash content oils can lead to ring seizing, premature filter plugging, higher combustion deposits on piston tops, excessive cylinder sleeve scuffing, etc... Once you have caused those kinds of wear to occur, you will be stuck using the high-ash oils to keep those defects "plugged" with ash deposits.
I'm not sure if this statement would be true for the full synthetic Pennzoil, but it would definitely be something I would look into.
I also have heard that higher ash content is really not good when using the newer/low sulfur diesel fuels.

Ironically, as a teenager, I use to work at a local Pennzoil Quik Oil Change place, but I never used their oil when I would bring my own car in the bay to change the oil (had a '67 Mustang Coupe back then).
:happy160:

I think a lot has changed over the years from the bad hype that Pennzoil was way back in the day. I don’t know if that it’s now made from natural gas instead of crude oil. I don’t know if all of Pennzoil’s products are made of that, or if it’s just the Pennzoil Premium and the Ultra Platinum but the PUP is all I’ve been using. Primarily just from all the recommendations from here.

But I’m highly considering trying out Amsoil XL and one of their filters when it comes time to do another oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like pennzoil, it keeps the hemi happy and quiet, and its what RAM recommends, so i`ll keep using it. And if my engine fails, they have to find a good reason to disqualify me because i follow their recommendations in the lubrication of my trucks. So, thats the better reason why i use pennzoil. Surly your thoughts of pennzoil came from a long time ago. Oils are a bit different today, and i believe, they are much much better quality today than they use to be.

That's very possible Rammer. My data is from the late 80's, and again, that was for dino-poop (mineral) oil too. Synthetics from Pennzoil may be entirely different.
You need to look at the oils base number (BN or TBN) to tell its' ash content. Ash DOES serve a pupose in neutralizing acids in the oils, but too much causes problems too (apparently especially with diesels).

Regarding the "recommended oil", so long as an oil's SAE/API certification numbers match, the oils will be nearly identical for all intents and purposes and I cannot see how Ram could void a warranty when the alternative oil meets the same essential ratings from the universally accepted agencies (although some minor additives may be different between the brands).
Think of it this way, Corvettes may come with the Goodyear "recommended" tires, but is that because those are what the car was designed to run best on, or did Chevy have a deal to get the Corvette tires for free from Goodyear? It's usually the second one is the real reason for the recommendation.
As they say on TV, your mileage may vary...
;-)

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A lot of people use Penn oil because there are not many oils that meet the Chrysler spec.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk