Debadged but uh-oh ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
My 2010 had some fierce 3M tape adhesion. I used the fishing line technique, followed by gently pulling the residue with my finger at 45 degrees toward me. I used Goo-gone, then washed with soap and water. The door badging is ghosted a little bit. It is the tailgate that has me freaked out. The SLT badge is clearly an entirely different shade of paint and the 4x4 has clear coat coming up. 6 year old paint in SoCal will do that.

I am thinking of getting the whole gate repainted, and if I do, the remaining Ram badge removed along with the holes filled.

I am going to use rubbing compound and then wax the doors. Frankly, if they are still ghosted after doing that, I will get em painted too. It's only $$$ :jawdrop:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 150

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Odds are a correction/polish will remove the ghosting What you are likely seeing is oxidation and surface imperfections of the clear (or lack thereof where the badging was) rather than a fading of the paint.

Remember that clear has been exposed to the elements for 6 more years than the parts under the badging.

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Removing the RAM logo from the tailgate turns out to be pretty involved. There is actually a section of metal that is sunk below the emblem along with a few holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Removing the RAM logo from the tailgate turns out to be pretty involved. There is actually a section of metal that is sunk below the emblem along with a few holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, It's a pretty big groove and holes to boot.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always use the LEAST abrasive product first.
Jay

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use to remove any stripes or badges from any new car I got . Reason I did this was when restoring my old cars I found ghosting to be a horrible problem . I sanded a 69 roadrunner down to total bare metal & the top side stripe just keep ghosting back even after repeated priming and sanding. The same happened with the tail stripe on my 70 super bee . ( which was professionally done)I ended up replacing the stripes.
Thanks
I think I'll leave mine well enough alone .(this time)

I find the 1500 ram badges to be too big & tacky looking

Cheers all