Dee Zee Tailgate Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've installed these on 3 different RAM trucks and have never removed the rubber block. In fact, this must be a new step, I don't remember seeing this step.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Still on mine. Very happy with this add-on.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
I've installed these on 3 different RAM trucks and have never removed the rubber block. In fact, this must be a new step, I don't remember seeing this step.
Same for me, 0 Issues

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Just did mine this weekend, I did choose to remove that rubber block. As stated earlier, the cylinder is pushed HARD into the rubber so I decided to remove it. No new squeaks or rattles, gate operates and shuts as it should.
IMG_6065.JPG

M376X6

Reaction score
Ram Year
1963, 1965, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2022
Engine
Mopar
I put one on my Son's 2018 Power Wagon and removed the rubber. I put on my old 2012 3500 and removed the rubber. My Son's 2022 Power Wagon has the factory damper on it and my 2022 3500 has the remote power tailgate with the damper and I believe they have the rubber but are factory. I never had any problem with my 2012 truck and my Son still has his 2018 and it is working great. Perhaps it's what you prefer to do that matters.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I looked at my old directions and it didn't say anything about removing it. Mine still has the rubber bumper and I've had no issues.

-Don

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Never added one, I find it easier just NOT to let the tail gate "GO FLOP". But I'm only 70+ and have driven lots of pickups over the years. Just seems like a expense to me, that could be better put somewhere else. It reminds me of the bumpers the have the "toe hole" to put your shoe in to get into the bed of the truck. Every brand/make of vehicle that I tried my work boots would not go in the slot. I just put my foot on the top of the bumper (about 1-2 inches higher) and set on up into the bed. AHHHHH! maybe I am just to old to know better!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never added one, I find it easier just NOT to let the tail gate "GO FLOP". But I'm only 70+ and have driven lots of pickups over the years. Just seems like a expense to me, that could be better put somewhere else. It reminds me of the bumpers the have the "toe hole" to put your shoe in to get into the bed of the truck. Every brand/make of vehicle that I tried my work boots would not go in the slot. I just put my foot on the top of the bumper (about 1-2 inches higher) and set on up into the bed. AHHHHH! maybe I am just to old to know better!

LOL, if only I could remember 100% of the time, to not let go of the tailgate. :cool:

My last truck of 15 years, the Tundra, had that feature built-in, at least for the Limited.

I'm almost re-trained after about 15 months with the Ram but, every once in a while, I let it drop.

I think I paid about $25 for dee-zee tailgate assist and looking forward to installing it someday soon. I could easily live without ABS brakes but this tailgate option will be greatly appreciated and worth the investment AFAIC.

And thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. It's great info for us users, new to the dee-zee device.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
On my truck, the upper one stayed on, and I removed the lower one. No rattles after 5 years, no rub/impact marks and DeeZee still works great.