Diamondback vs American Roll vs BakFlip VP covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copasetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm a new Ram owner, just having bought a '14 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited in silver. You guys have quickly convinced me not to get a hard tonneau cover, even though I love the looks.
I don't care for the looks of the folding covers, except the BakFlip VP because of the vinyl top. More than one store I have looked at has advised me against the Bak Roll-X.
My research (I've read hundreds of reviews and talked to multiple dealers) just gives me a gut feeling not to go with Bak, although I know there are thousands of happy owners.
My research also tells me that the Tonneau Covers USA American Roll is a better choice (for me) than a Retrax because of canister size. Both appear to be of very high quality, but do I want any canister with a short box?
What about a Diamondback? Seems very functional, but wouldn't it look too industrial on a "sportier" truck?
I'm not afraid to make a major investment in the "right" top, but I could use your help figuring out whih one is "the right one" for me. Thanks

jlis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the club and awesome color choice! I have the BakFlip VP and love it. Can't comment on the other companies. Haven't had any problems with the cover since I put it on back in Feb. It does what it has to do. It has the best options of all the types of covers out there. Looks like a soft top, protects like a hard top, and you can still throw tall stuff in your bed if you need to. I was looking into the Roll-X only for the fact that you can still see out of the back window when it is rolled up. Good luck on your purchase!

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
What did you get?
I have a diamondback (black) and it is SO awesome. But I am about to trade my truck for one with a different size bed (Diamondback is for short bed). I am going to sell it before I trade.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
If you decide on the TCUSA cover, go to a LINE-X dealer and get the Truck Gear by LINE-X Retractable Cover. It's a rebadged TCUSA cover except:
1. The LINE-X cover comes with a lifetime warranty.
2. The LINE-X cover automatically comes with the optional "keyless entry" cord.

You can view the LINE-X cover here: Truck Gear Accessories

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been looking into tonneau covers and those BakFlip VP look pretty dam tough. I was looking at the TonnoPro Tri fold for a more cost effective option.
Now those diamond back covers are just wicked.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Love my tonnopro low roll pro. Great quality for $245 shipped and has a 10yr warranty on the vinyl, limited lifetime on the frame. The cover is a llocking type so the Bed is secure when the tail gate is locked.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Now those diamond back covers are just wicked.

I have truly loved my Diamond black cover. Nothing out there has the same security and it looks great. Wish like heck I could keep it but I have the short bed now and I am getting a new truck with 6"4" bed and I don't know if I am going to buy another diamond or not due to cost and my use of truck will require it to be off more than on.
I am selling this one - live in Missouri.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca