diff fluid change on a 3.21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just to update the thread: I changed my fluid, it looked in great shape yet, nothing resembling wear that I could see in there. Truck is at 93,000 km or about 58,000 miles, lots of towing over the 4 years. It started making a groaning noise during my last tow trip of the season, I'd be at a stop (even unloaded without any weight in truck), turn left or right and it would then groan through the corner and then once I was straight the noise would go away.

So I put in Amsoil severe gear 75w-110. I compromised, its higher than factory oil but I'm a little skittish on the thicker viscosities. Also added the 1 tube of Amsoil slip lock which is meant for limited slip diffs like mine is. I'm hoping I did the right thing there with that additive? I could have added the mopar stuff but that means talking to the dealer guys which is a problem since we don't get along all that well anymore (there might have been a wee incident a while back)

Went for a boot and haven't heard the noise once.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the Severe Gear has the LS added in already, but as long as you don't have any noise or weird slippage issues it shouldn't hurt. Good oil choice.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think the Severe Gear has the LS added in already, but as long as you don't have any noise or weird slippage issues it shouldn't hurt. Good oil choice.

Yes this was a source of confusion for me. I'm not sure where I read this, but somewhere somebody said the oil is still needed for clutch based diffs like ours.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I ordered gear oil for my truck but wound up ordering the 75W85 with friction modifier that I intended to use in the front differential. Would it be an issue to go ahead and use this or should I return and get the 75W90 NS fluid. It would save me about $10 if I exchanged.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I ordered gear oil for my truck but wound up ordering the 75W85 with friction modifier that I intended to use in the front differential. Would it be an issue to go ahead and use this or should I return and get the 75W90 NS fluid. It would save me about $10 if I exchanged.
Your truck if it's a 14 calls for 75W-140,and being in Texas that's what i'd run

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck if it's a 14 calls for 75W-140,and being in Texas that's what i'd run
This is would be for the front. I already put the 140 in the rear. I’m interested in opinions of putting the fluid with friction modifiers in the front with no limited slip.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like on the Redline website when entering my truck info it shows the 75W85 for hypoid limited slip differentials for my front axle. So I suppose I’ll go ahead and use what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Limited Slip rated gear oil will not hurt an open (non LS) differential if that is your question.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
It looks like on the Redline website when entering my truck info it shows the 75W85 for hypoid limited slip differentials for my front axle. So I suppose I’ll go ahead and use what I have.
LS rated gear oil will not hurt a differential that does not call for it.