Ditched the Nitto Ridge Grapplers Today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a few weeks ago, I posted a thread about my Ridge Grapplers getting louder (like quite a bit) the longer I had them. At this point, I have about 9000 miles on them. Loved them at first. They were fairly quiet (I expected a bit of noise from this style of tire), rode smooth, and looked great. Fast forward a few months, and a few thousand miles (made a move out of state, lots of driving), and that all changed. No feathering, rotated regularly, but they got considerably louder and rougher riding.

Talked with the manager at Discount Tire, and he offered to give me a partial refund towards a different set of tires. Thought that was really cool of him. Opted to go back to some that I knew would be a good bet. Switched out for a set of Michelin Defenders. Cannot believe the difference in ride quality, handling, and road noise. Not as aggressive as the Nittos, but made it feel like I got a new truck.

Cannot say enough about the service at Discount Tire. Great place.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
[QUOTE="Steve Cloud, post: 2251803, member: 85896"

Cannot say enough about the service at Discount Tire. Great place.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, took wife's car in with a nail in one of the tires. He pulled my info up- two sets of tires purchased for the truck- added her car info and told me there wouldn't be any charges for road hazards on the car.

AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE :patriot:

rampower2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will love the Michelin I had a set on my truck wish I had the money to get a nother set $$ so when I had to get tires I got the falcon ht 02 so far I love the tire vary good tire aswel

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive been considering rg's in stock size for my new wheels but reviews like this make me think twice!
I may just have to go with the terra graps in 305s or even 275/65

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive been considering rg's in stock size for my new wheels but reviews like this make me think twice!
I may just have to go with the terra graps in 305s or even 275/65

I think it just depends on your expectations. I bought these based on what several people (including a friend who manages a tire shop) that they were about as good as Michelins (which I've owned on several vehicles over the years). I had a set of BFG KO2s that looked great, and were smooth/quiet. Thought the Nittos would be about the same. Sadly, they were not. If you're going in to a set of off road tires knowing that there will be noise/rougher ride, it probably would not be as easy to notice.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can’t go wrong with Michelin. Opted for Nitto Terra Grapplers as an alternative for the more expensive KO2s.

I like my Nittos a ton, but have noticed the occasional slip in wet weather - won’t buy my tires anywhere but Discount Tires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a few weeks ago, I posted a thread about my Ridge Grapplers getting louder (like quite a bit) the longer I had them. At this point, I have about 9000 miles on them. Loved them at first. They were fairly quiet (I expected a bit of noise from this style of tire), rode smooth, and looked great. Fast forward a few months, and a few thousand miles (made a move out of state, lots of driving), and that all changed. No feathering, rotated regularly, but they got considerably louder and rougher riding.

Talked with the manager at Discount Tire, and he offered to give me a partial refund towards a different set of tires. Thought that was really cool of him. Opted to go back to some that I knew would be a good bet. Switched out for a set of Michelin Defenders. Cannot believe the difference in ride quality, handling, and road noise. Not as aggressive as the Nittos, but made it feel like I got a new truck.

Cannot say enough about the service at Discount Tire. Great place.
I'm thinking you have a lifted truck. One thing to remember with nitto, or any other beans for that matter you must, one more time, MUST rotate tires every other oil change for proper ware. I have 35k in my nittos, and there just like the day I bought them. Matter o fact today I was saying I got about 10k more on them...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have had my 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers for over a year now with 10k miles and they are just as quiet as they day they I got them put on my truck ... the handling is the same through rain and on the highway.

You are actually the first person that I know of that is not happy with the Grapplers, what size did you have and at how many miles were you rotating? I have rotated mine every 3k miles so the next rotation is coming which I am going to do this weekend actually....

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your tires, offroad tires will make some noise and they aren't for everyone. I always buy mine from Discount Tire too, great service.

I personally love my ridge grapplers, they drive smooth even at 95 mph on the highway. I have had my 325/60R20 for one year now with zero issues, wearing great.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ridge grapplers are good tires. I've got ~25K on mine and have noticed no issue with noise or roughness at all? And they are wearing great so far and no issues in the rain (and we get plenty of it).

As far as comparing the michelins he bought to replace them? Not even in the same family of tire, you are comparing an aggressive all terrain to a straight highway tire. Night and day difference in the intended use and ride qualities. Sounds like the OP just bought the wrong tires for his type of driving, not a tire issue.

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Put me on the list of ditching the grapplers. Less then 15 thousand miles, loud, super stiff = harsh ride, felt every pebble on the road. Maybe some people don’t mind a stiffer/ harsh ride going down the road at 60 mph, but I sure do. Switched to the general ATX , night and day difference! They don’t look has aggressive as the grapplers , but I love my smooth and quieter ride.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
add me to the love of the Nitto Ridge Grappler, talked a buddy into a set for his 4x4 Tahoe on 35's, and he loves them too.

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the defenders on my '97 1500 for just over 6 years, only put around 10k miles on them. Ride and road noise were fantastic. They did end up with significant side wall dry rotting though, went back to discount tire to see what they could do. Informed Michelin has a 6 year environmental warranty (which i was a few months past) but they opened a claim to see what Michelin would do. Got a credit of just over 50% for price of new and put a new set of Kumhos for just a little out of pocket. Discount tire is awesome to work with and those Defenders are sweet riding tires. Hope they work out for ya

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the old Nittos (and old home location)

rd9QW3i.jpg

These are the new Michelins. Gave up the off-road "look" of the other tires, but these look really good, IMO. Still thinking about some aftermarket wheels.

0sld3db.jpg

kawu0nr.jpg

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking you have a lifted truck. One thing to remember with nitto, or any other beans for that matter you must, one more time, MUST rotate tires every other oil change for proper ware. I have 35k in my nittos, and there just like the day I bought them. Matter o fact today I was saying I got about 10k more on them...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nope, all stock. Rotated as per recommended mileage by Discount.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess if you only want to use your truck as a luxury car you shouldn't put all terrain tires on it. Just stay with tires made for driving to the grocery store and the kid's soccer practice. :manos:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nitto makes 2 versions of the Ridge G's in 275/60/20 one is P, the other one is E. I'd guess you went with the E's ?
It all comes down to what you do with your truck and tires. I'll expect the P's to ride as soft as the stocker ones on stock suspension so the only thing you'll have is more noise then because of the more aggresive AT thread in the Nittos compared to the stockers.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the load Range E’s and they rode perfect with no noise (Try running the Mud Grapplers if you want to talk about noise). Personally I like my tires, radio and exhaust loud.
As far as handling the Ridge Grapplers handled way better than MT’s I have run (being they are XT’s). Can’t comment on any Street tires as I would never put them on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro