DIY Rear Seat mod and Sound Insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While the rear seat was out to cleanup and correct water intrusion, I decided to make a few changes. With rear floor pan silencer out, it became obvious how much noise is generated from the rear of the crew cab. I purchased and installed Siless Black 80mil 36 ft² Sound Deadening Mat from the pan back and up the rear cab wall to about 6" below the rear window. I ended up using half the box. The mat has an aluminum top layer bonded to sound matting and a mastic on the bottom. I found the adhesion excellent in temps above 60-65F. As soon as the sunset, the material became more stiff and took more effort to install, so a that point I waited until the next day to finish the job. It required a pair of kitchen snips/scissors and a urethane roller. Because the adhesion is excellent with only hand pressure, you can probably get by without a roller. I wore mechanics gloves as occasionally the aluminum will have a sharp edge when cut, but simply pressing the mat down adhered it to the body. The good thing is that the mat is not fully adhered until pressure is applied, so if you have to remove and realign, you can with minimal effort. Overall the mat quieted the cab considerably, most impressive is far less road noise and hemi/exhaust rumble.
I had the rear seat mod on my list for a while, but held off as I did not want to use wood to raise the seat height. I ran across Peak Black Aluminum Wide Picket railing in a 4ft section ($15). These ended up being 3/4" in height. From each picket, I cut each two sections (I'll go measure the length) that extended from the back of the cab to the point where the pan rises/has a slight lip. I measured and drilled two 3/4" holes through the railing for the seat bolt holes, then another for the front seat post. I did the same for the second rail, but on the post hole I only drilled through the top of the railing. Repeat for the other side. The first and the second rail stacked = 1.5" which is just enough to raise the seat out of the latch to fold flat. I also purchased four 1 3/4" length machine bolts and washers to accommodate the added height when remounting the seat. The mod works as expected. The seat feels securely latched when pulled on, but releases when the bottom seat is raised.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn