DIY WATER PUMP INSTRUCTIONS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoofly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not one post about water pump change says a darn thing thing about how to do it. Just blabbing about taking it to a mechanic and stupid stuff. Can anyone tell me how to do the job?
Can't get nut loose on fan.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Tighten the belt with a breaker bar pushing in the opposite way the tensioner moves. Open end 36mm on the clutch/fan nut and give it a couple good whacks with a mini sledge. May need a little heat to break it. I prefer induction over torch.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Search youtube. Plenty of videos on how to R&R Hemi water pumps. A video is worth 10,000 words.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Hold the pully with a pin spanner wrench.They are pretty tight.I've used a air hammer to break the stubborn ones loose a few times.Good luck.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does take a good fitting wrench and several wacks on the wrench with a decent sized hammer. The threads are opposite of what you would expect. It also helps to leave the belt on until you get this nut broken loose. Upon reinstalling, thread that big nut on as far as you can by hand and then wack the wrench once or twice to get it snug. It only has to be snug. It will tighten itself snugger.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Left hand threads.