Water pump fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckidd_21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. Was noticing the dreaded smell of coolant the other day while driving and saw that I had a leak coming from the front of the engine. Took it to my neighbor who runs his own shop and he immediately saw that it is my water pump. He’s getting a quote made up for me but wanted to see what others had paid to get this fixed? Seeing ballpark of $500-$850. Also seeing that since we are getting in there might as well get new fan clutch, thermostat, and serpentine belt. Anything else I'm missing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
belt tensioner and any idler pulley along with a flush then refill with Mopar famous "Purple Kool-Aid" coolant.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do the fan clutch delete. and a WP is an easy DIY

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unless you plan on tuning it,don't follow Dilligaf's advice,leave the mechanical fan in place if you're running the stock tune.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah com'on Wildone ;) Plenty of guyts did it on here without tuning it. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ah com'on Wildone ;) Plenty of guyts did it on here without tuning it. :cool:
I really wish you'd quit pushing some of your dumb ideas on here Ian.You can't delete the clutch fan unless you tune the truck and reset the e-fans parameters,and you know that,so why you push this idea is beyond me.
The man has a 2016,so it's not exactly cheap to tune his truck,the best he could do is run a 190 or 180 thermostat on the stock tune,and leave his mechanical fan in place,to reap some of the benefits of a cooler running engine.
Point out these "plenty of guys on here who did it with-out tuning",shouldn't be hard to give us names of these so-called guys

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why delete the fan clutch? What is there to gain by doing that?
Quicker engine warm ups/ less engine noise / some guys claim less wear and tear on the water pump bearings,but unless you tune the truck and reset the electric fans On / Off parameters the truck will run hotter with-out the clutch fan in place. You can run either a 190 or 180 thermostat on the stock tune,and as long as you leave the mechanical fan in place,you'll still reap the benefits of a cooler running engine with-out having to tune the truck.
These days alot of dealers are stocking or can get a 180 thermostat,as it's one of the first mods you do with the Direct Connection kits for the Red Eyes etc.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never had a issue with the engine temp. Stays consistant no matter the weather.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really wish you'd quit pushing some of your dumb ideas on here.

Ill stop when you stop using people's actual name on a forum my guy ;) Thats whats dumb AF :cheers:

And I find it funny you ask about proof when you spend as much time on here as me. V6 fan and 180 Thermostats can be ran without a tune when you do the clutch fan delete.

This is enough interwebs for me today, Back to the shop I go, I got a 53 thats way more fun to work on compared to these Rams.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ill stop when you stop using people's actual name on a forum my guy ;) Thats whats dumb AF :cheers:

And I find it funny you ask about proof when you spend as much time on here as me. V6 fan and 180 Thermostats can be ran without a tune when you do the clutch fan delete.

This is enough interwebs for me today, Back to the shop I go, I got a 53 thats way more fun to work on compared to these Rams.
Tough luck Ian,you use your name on facebook,what's differant between here and facebook,please draw me that picture.
You can't run the V6 fan with a clutch fan delete,on the stock tune,with-out the truck running hotter in traffic or when it's idling,the stock efan parameters don't kick the electric fan in until 220F,doesn't matter what you think or say.
The only way to bypass the electric fan parameters is to run the A/C,the man lives in Colorado,i highly doubt he's going to want to run the A/C in Jan and Feb
BTW i've never seen anybody on here getting away with the clutch fan delete /V6 fan swap with the stock tune,you're dreaming if you think there's lots of guys on here doing that and getting away with it,that's why i wanted you to put names to these so called guys
Yea you go work on your 53,that way you're not on here spreading false info,and dumb ideas

Last edited:

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For Ckidd_21 I recently had my water pump, thermostat, belt and coolant changed on my 97 5.9. The total cost, including the government robbery tax was about 900.00. What is being quoted to you sounds about right.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they are charging that much to do a water pump.. Think i need to get back into the mobile auto repair buisness lmfaoo.. thats way over priced in my opinion a new pump is 100 buks takes about a hour or 2 to change. It should cost no more then $300 labor plus parts so $450 total.

OP
OP
C

Ckidd_21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they are charging that much to do a water pump.. Think i need to get back into the mobile auto repair buisness lmfaoo.. thats way over priced in my opinion a new pump is 100 buks takes about a hour or 2 to change. It should cost no more then $300 labor plus parts so $450 total.
Yeah total for water pump, with parts and labor, came out to $580. Luckily I have an extended warranty so out of pocket for it was just under $300. Of course with 100,000 miles on the truck other things were found that needed to be fixed up (I.e. exhaust manifold bolt broken and bad lower control arms)