Fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles have you guys and gals been getting before you have had to change your fuel pump?
I currently have 205,000 miles on mine and have started doing a lot of traveling with my job and don’t want to be stranded somewhere so I’m trying to decide if I should go ahead and change mine or expect it to last a while longer.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had a 2007 with the 4.7 and my fuel pump went to sleep around 230,000. It's never a good time or place to get stranded but it left me in a pretty bad spot (of course).

I like your way of thinking. People in my area seem to have money for everything but they won't invest 10 cents in preventative service for the most important tool in their life. Whether you do the work yourself or not, it will still be a lot cheaper than waiting for it to fail when you're away from home.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have put between 200,000 and 350,000 miles on a large number of vehicles. I have replaced two fuel pumps in 55 years of driving. It isn't a fail part I worry about. That said, if there are any indications it is getting weak, hesitation going uphill, needing to cycle the key a couple of times to get fuel to start up first thing in the morning etc, I would change it immediately, not wait for it to fail.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far no problems with the pump.
It’s just the fact that i will be making a trip from S.E. Texas to Billings Montana and will be there for about two weeks and then the drive back home and I’m not wanting to be stranded on the road or in MT.
I am just curious what the average mileage is on them.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So far no problems with the pump.
It’s just the fact that i will be making a trip from S.E. Texas to Billings Montana and will be there for about two weeks and then the drive back home and I’m not wanting to be stranded on the road or in MT.
I am just curious what the average mileage is on them.
Well, you could always buy one and take it with you if you are really worried. Any garage can install it if you already have the part.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, you could always buy one and take it with you if you are really worried. Any garage can install it if you already have the part.

That was my thinking too.

If the OP has concerns, buy it and keep it with you. Maybe, watch a bunch of YouTube videos and decide if you're prepared to change it yourself and if the job is doable at the side of the road, pack the necessary tools.

Then, you're set. :cool:

Hmm, on second thought, maybe a roadside replacement of a fuel pump would be partially insane with too many complicated variables and potentially explosive results. LOL

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have to drop the tank to change the pump, unless you pre-cut an access panel in the box. Dropping the tank is not a side of the road type of job in my books.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, dropping the tank isn’t a roadside job. I did drop the tank on my wife’s ‘07 but I had a concrete driveway and my big floor jack.
I have pulled the beds on a couple of other trucks, but I was working at a fab shop at the time and made hooks to go in the hole in the corners of the bed and had an overhead crane available.
I might just buy a pump and carry it with me and let a shop change it if it goes out on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357