Do I need LT tires to tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the wranglers as well, and they were decent for everything EXCEPT towing. In my opinion a LT C rated tire might as well be a P rated tire lol. Definitely going with at least a D when the tread on these gives up. I towed a 10k trailer around 2,000 miles, and I felt like my rear end was floating all over the place.

In the eyes of Chrysler though you can't sacrifice ride quality for towing quality since that is not what most people use their trucks for LOL.

If yours was a 2011 it was a different tire as they switched for 2013. They went to a load range E tire for the outdoorsman. I towed 2 pallets of softener salt a few months ago most of it on the tongue of the truck and those tires never flexed at all. They were 100% planted the entire time.

Reactions: jlb

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if I could have been any more vague? Sorry dude.. not enough coffee yet. :roflsquared:

There is a lot of debate back and forth on several forums, but I am of the opinion that a good hub-centric set of spacers is no different than a set of rims with the correct backspacing *unless* you start throwing trailers into the mix. The ONLY reason that many avoid them completely is not really due to anything other than it being an extra piece that could potentially fail. Has it happened? Who knows. Likely, but anything can fail. I know a few manufacturers of spacers have a disclaimer right on the product description advising that towing with the spacer is not recommended for whatever reason. Different offset or spacers can possibly accelerate the wear on bearings or various other points simply due to the different load points a wider spaced stance will have- but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Seems to me...

That having tires that stick out past the flares would liken the potential of throwing rocks/debri up/into the TT.

We have a metal diamond plate shield thingy on ours to help curb disaster.

Also, from what I understand, having tires that stick out past the flares/wheel wells are illegal in the state of PA. That, is just what I've "heard".

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If yours was a 2011 it was a different tire as they switched for 2013. They went to a load range E tire for the outdoorsman. I towed 2 pallets of softener salt a few months ago most of it on the tongue of the truck and those tires never flexed at all. They were 100% planted the entire time.

Fair enough, mine are a C, and I hate them. If the newer trucks came with a real tire I am JEALOUS lol.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That having tires that stick out past the flares would liken the potential of throwing rocks/debri up/into the TT.

And basically all over everything. I had a rock off my rear wheel smash out my rearview mirror on the drivers side. Scared the **** out of me. I just happened to glance in the mirror at the perfect time to see it come off the tire straight into my mirror... *SMASH*... it was like watching a bullet in slow motion.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Crazy!

Yeah, not worth it. I'll leave it be.. Plus, two very small children. No risk is worth it.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And basically all over everything. I had a rock off my rear wheel smash out my rearview mirror on the drivers side. Scared the **** out of me. I just happened to glance in the mirror at the perfect time to see it come off the tire straight into my mirror... *SMASH*... it was like watching a bullet in slow motion.

Oh man lol

What are the odds of looking right at it when it happens?

I can imagine what you saw. Pretty trippy

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Question: would a size wider-lower profile tire be better for towing then a skinny tall tire with alot of sidewall?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Question: would a size wider-lower profile tire be better for towing then a skinny tall tire with alot of sidewall?

I would say the opposite is true. You want higher sidewall if possible. Less sidewall may not matter when you are talking tires that are pretty close anyway. I would refer to low pro tires vs standard sidewall as my guide on that question.

34.7 is about max without excessive rub from what I have found and without level. 285/65R20 is stuffed look. Also a wider tire is better for traction but not better for going thru snow and mud since cutting through is easier when narrower.

$miley

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The reason for my question--> I work in a NH3 plant where hundreds of trucks a day are going in and out transporting our NH3 too all the local and distant Co-oPs.

I have noticed over 1/2 the transports have switched from dual drive and trailer tires to a {Single-Very Wide-Lower Profile Tires}.

Its seems all the trucks that have switched to these tires are the ones that transport our heavier loads.

This just got me thinking! Maybe this is totally different then a Pickup and TT.

Wider= Better Traction & Better Stability! I just don't know about Load Capability?

Smiley:I agree on your Snow and Mud thoughts.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The reason for my question--> I work in a NH3 plant where hundreds of trucks a day are going in and out transporting our NH3 too all the local and distant Co-oPs.

I have noticed over 1/2 the transports have switched from dual drive and trailer tires to a {Single-Very Wide-Lower Profile Tires}.

Its seems all the trucks that have switched to these tires are the ones that transport our heavier loads.

This just got me thinking! Maybe this is totally different then a Pickup and TT.

Wider= Better Traction & Better Stability! I just don't know about Load Capability?

Smiley:I agree on your Snow and Mud thoughts.

I believe they are called super singles. I think it is more of a case of less tires to replace, less that can go wrong.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
loveracing: You might be right!

I drove for 7 years. I know I would rather have duals. Can't recall how many blow outs I had and could still drive due to the other tire still being good. {Drive to the nearest town for repair}

If that single blows! Your done!

Ah well! I was just thinking out loud with the Wider-Low Profile idea! Back on Topic!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefox9