DOES A LEVELING KIT HURT YOUR MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You put that size on with the stock stance? If so, do you have any problems with rubbing anywhere?

No. That's the same size I've got and mine were installed before the level due to a deal at discount tire the week before the lift was scheduled for install. No rub what so ever.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't seen any mention of removing the air dam. My economy took a hit when mine came off.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't seen any mention of removing the air dam. My economy took a hit when mine came off.

I removed mine, but after installing my level and 35s. So I had already quit caring about mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PGTB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Bilstein shocks adjusted to the farthest setting. I also added a Fresh air kit at the same time just in case. My mileage stayed the same (21mpg) on the highway. I have a 2014 1500 Laramie 4x4.

Zepp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did I over look the comments or is there not any mention of the answer to the question if a level voids the warranty or not?????

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did I over look the comments or is there not any mention of the answer to the question if a level voids the warranty or not?????

Short answer... depends. Anything on the front suspension that could be negatively affected by the lift being installed probably gives them grounds to not cover under warranty. That all depends on how big of an ass the dealer wants to be. I'm pretty sure any tire size over 1 size bigger than stock gives them grounds to void also.

Anything else that wouldn't be directly affected by the level being installed you should be good to go on. Can't blame a fuel pump taking a **** on a leveling kit.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Short answer... depends. Anything on the front suspension that could be negatively affected by the lift being installed probably gives them grounds to not cover under warranty. That all depends on how big of an ass the dealer wants to be. I'm pretty sure any tire size over 1 size bigger than stock gives them grounds to void also.

Anything else that wouldn't be directly affected by the level being installed you should be good to go on. Can't blame a fuel pump taking a **** on a leveling kit.

not really.... the dealer has to prove that what you did caused the failure, not a defective part, in order for them to not honor your warranty

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

not really.... the dealer has to prove that what you did caused the failure, not a defective part, in order for them to not honor your warranty

Hence why I said it gives them grounds to not cover said part under warranty, and anybody with any experience regarding getting warranty work done will know, if you give them an inch they'll take a mile. Not all service departments are assholes, some are pretty cool and don't look for reasons not to honor warranty, some will look for any excuse possible.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lvl kit will adversly effect mpg period. You are allowing more air to flow under the truck. Now how much will it affect it, that will vary from situation to situation and driver/vehicle to environment. It’s gonna drop the mpg”s- but it shouldn’t be by much. This is just my opinion though.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
It's the damndest thing.. I averaged 14.3 MPG with my OEM tires. I replaced my OEM tires a couple of weeks ago with Falken Wildpeak AT3's (oem size 275/60/R20) and I actually began averaging 15.6 MPG.. Boggles the mind right? Anyways, a week later I installed Bilstein's at 2.8 and 1.5" TGC spacers in the rear and my average MPG is back to 14.3... I don't claim to know why. I'm just putting my data out there.

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
It's the damndest thing.. I averaged 14.3 MPG with my OEM tires. I replaced my OEM tires a couple of weeks ago with Falken Wildpeak AT3's (oem size 275/60/R20) and I actually began averaging 15.6 MPG.. Boggles the mind right? Anyways, a week later I installed Bilstein's at 2.8 and 1.5" TGC spacers in the rear and my average MPG is back to 14.3... I don't claim to know why. I'm just putting my data out there.

Maybe the improvement was due to better/Summer blend fuel. Hopefully it doesn’t worsen in winter.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Maybe the improvement was due to better/Summer blend fuel. Hopefully it doesn’t worsen in winter.

That would make sense, but the improvement began with the same tank of gas.

itsmesukkka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leveling kit should not hurt your MPG... but if you decide to go with some "beefier" tires your MPG will drop for sure.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Make sure to get the truck aligned right by a competent shop. If the truck is out of alignment your new expensive tires will wear out in no time and the truck will probably drive like crap.

Are those the AEV wheels? Looking at some of their stuff, not sure if worth changing to those from the stock 20s.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
AEV Salta's in onyx. Its basically a match for the factory granite crystal and they look very OEM on the truck. I like them a lot. Wouldn't have bought any other after market wheels. You can also run 35's with no rub on stock suspension with them or 37's with a 2"+ level.