Does anyone make a filler or 3D printed part for this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On top of my radio bezel there is a small angled slot with a rubber mat in it. Under the mat are the two screws that hold the radio bezel on. I want to mount a new Android box on top of that area as that is the perfect location. I am searching for a plastic "filler" for this area as I would like it to be flat, but don't know what the part it is called. Does anyone know if such a filler exists, or whether anyone has created 3D printer plans for this? It would be great to be able to use that location as a mounting point, ideally using the existing two screws to hold it down.

thx

Attachments

• RamDash.jpg
    RamDash.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 53

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You can get just a mount that would screw there.

OP
OP
R

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey thanks man. That looks exactly like what I need.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's others out there too. I believe RAM Mounts makes one too. The link above was just the first one I found to get you started.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a modified version of the Bayou Goat Mounts

The bottom part is from Bayou Goat Mounts
the rest was from Home Depot & the owner of a machine shop used one of his presses

It will be used for a mount for a dash camera & Truckers GPS

1696362502511.png
1696362661829.png

I had to have the extra 2" height, so the dash cameras view is not blocked by the dash board & windshield wipers

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Any chance that dash cover you have came from a small shop in Yuma? I spent many winters on BLM land in the area and purchased one for the small MH I had. They made a nice product and I would like to get one for my RAM but I don't seem to be able to find the place I purchased it from online. From your posts I can tell that you get to the Yuma area from time to time
and thought you might have purchased from them.
Quick answer or PM will work so as to not derail this thread.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ProClip makes a mount for the center tray. I leave it off except when I pull the travel trailer.
Have two mounts for the Furrion rear camera and Garmin RV GPS.
IMG_20231007_163834030_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231007_164507503_HDR.jpg

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
You can get just a mount that would screw there.
Thank you for posting that link. I think I may go with that mount. We are now required in CA to have a hard mount fixture for our phones, so the Po-Po don't assume you were using it while driving. Not just good enough to drop it into the center console anymore.

As a side note (not technical), my only concern with putting it in such a prominently VISIBLE position is that it might be just enough to entice the California car window criminals (huge problem in CA with car break in) because it is so visible. At least the dark tint windows and sun shade will hide it a bit.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for posting that link. I think I may go with that mount. We are now required in CA to have a hard mount fixture for our phones, so the Po-Po don't assume you were using it while driving. Not just good enough to drop it into the center console anymore.

As a side note (not technical), my only concern with putting it in such a prominently VISIBLE position is that it might be just enough to entice the California car window criminals (huge problem in CA with car break in) because it is so visible. At least the dark tint windows and sun shade will hide it a bit.
What is the purpose of requiring that? Why not just use Android Auto or Car Play by plugging in your phone?

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
What is the purpose of requiring that? Why not just use Android Auto or Car Play by plugging in your phone?
The Legal Reason - At the end of the day, I am erroring on the side of making sure that the LEO (even the less bright ones) have NO DOUBT that the actual mobile device was not in my hands (hands free).

Personalized cockpit arrangement for the way I pilot - Use of mobile device for other reasons while driving (apps access and such). For example, I might want a different map / trail app on the phone while off road. I have the big screen on the dash and have the phone on uniconnect. I find that having two different displays for some applications is very useful.

CA Law (overview - not the actual verbiage of the Vehicle Code)

Using mobile phones while driving is regulated by California Vehicle Code, Division 11: Rules of the Road, Chapter 12: Public Offenses, Article 1: Driving Offenses; Sections 23123 to 23125.

California Distracted Driving laws summary:​

• In California drivers are not allowed to use mobile phones for calling, nor reading or writing text messages while driving on a public road.
  • Drivers may use cell phones for texting or calling in case they have a hands-free system installed.
  • All drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using phones even with a handsfree system.
Without hands-free capability, legally you can use mobile phones while driving if you are on private property, or in case of an emergency call to law enforcement or other similar service.

California’s definition of a hands-free system states that a phone must be mounted on windshield or dashboard in a way that doesn’t hinder the driver’s view of the road, and the driver’s hand must be able to activate or deactivate it with a single swipe or tap.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have been at a location in San Diego County, where a California Highway Patrol from the Commercial office was inspecting semi trucks & the vehicles that were working with them.

Every vehicle that had anything affixed to the windshield, was told to remove it.
They had to remove GPS, phones, radar from the windshield.
The officers also had the vehicle owners remove anything that blocked the view through the windshield,
( similar to having foam dice hanging from the windshield )

OP
OP
R

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7