Spewing fuel out filler neck when done fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, in the last couple of months when I go to fill my truck up at the gas station quite a bit of fuel has started spewing out of the filler neck when the tank reaches full with the nozzle still in. The pump shuts off and then like a 1/8 of a gallon on fuel coming flooding out. There is no problem filling the truck at the pump, it doesn’t take any longer than it used too and the pump doesn’t stop itself from pumping until the tank is full. When I google this information all arrows are pointing to the tank vent valve as the most likely culprit. Sounds like if it was the charcoal canister or the evap purge valve I would struggle to actually fill the tank up which isn’t the case. The truck also runs great, no weird/ rough idling, fuel economy could be a little better but I attribute that to stop and go traffic. Anyone ever run into this before or know the fix for the problem?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
YES, start listening for gurgling noises coming out of the fill tube & stop pumping immediately.
You have been lucky so far

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
YES, start listening for gurgling noises coming out of the fill tube & stop pumping immediately.
You have been lucky so far
Filled it up today and did just what you said and I was able to avoid it overflowing. Do you know what the fix for this is, does the tank need to removed to change the valve or do I need a new tank? I see a lot of talk about people needing to replace their fuel tanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They replace the tanks because the gas station nozzle will not put any fuel in the tank. Just the opposite is going on with your vehicle.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem is the check valve down the vent tube. Have had this problem many times once a year on my 2011.

The solution is to pull the vent tube up by the filler neck and put some wd/40 down it and then gently blow some compressed air in it to get the tub down to it.

It usually happens to me once a winter and that usually fixes it

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem is the check valve down the vent tube. Have had this problem many times once a year on my 2011.

The solution is to pull the vent tube up by the filler neck and put some wd/40 down it and then gently blow some compressed air in it to get the tub down to it.

Thank you, I’ll give that a try. I had the truck for just over a year so we’ll see if this will be a yearly occurrence for me.

new2trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Just had this happen on my 2010, 1500. thought it was a fluke till i experienced it twice. So, WD-40 in the filler neck. Is the issue that check valve getting stuck and not closing right away? What about Silicon lubricant?

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had this happen to my 2008 wrangler years ago. Jeep issued a recall on the problem. If I remember, it was an issue with a return line back to the fill hole. Not fun when fuel dumps out.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not in the filler neck but in the vent line next to filler neck
Crawl under where you see the filler pipe and you will see a small rubber hose that goes to the tank next to the filler pipe

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Not in the filler neck but in the vent line next to filler neck
Crawl under where you see the filler pipe and you will see a small rubber hose that goes to the tank next to the filler pipe
I've had this issue with my 2010 since I got it in 22. Gonna give this a try this weekend. Thanks.