Drive line Clunk in stop and go traffic 2018 rebel 4x4 31k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having a problem for some time with my 2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 (44-45 tranfer case) 31k miles. clunk when on and off the gas at low speed. I thought it was the transmission clunking because it always happened during a shift in stop and go traffic. Dealer test drove and flashed the TCM and said it was functioning as designed and they couldn't duplicate the problem. I can duplicate it over and over again. within 5 min of pulling away I realized it was still clunking. its so obvious and often my passengers are always asking what that clunk is? or what was that?

after updating the TCM it shifts smother under acceleration but clunks worse than ever now at low speed, on and off the throttle. this is more noticeable now because it seems like the TCM update has moved the shift point farther away from the clunking so they no longer happen at the same time.

not satisfied with the "working as designed answer" I crawled under the truck and rotated the drive shaft back and forth and can get about 30 degrees of rotation with a noticeable clacking sound inside of the transfer case and a clunk in the rear end. this is while in park. in neutral it rotates about 5 degrees more. It is now back at the dealer to inspect the drive line. waiting to hear back.

how much "Free play" is normal in the drive line? shouldn't there be 0 free play when in park? If the dealer comes back with a "working as designed" answer again what should I do next?

This clunk has been there when in traffic for some time, when it was new i just figured the transmission still needed to learn. as time went on it got worse and worse.

EDIT: this truck also has the anti spin differential with 3.92 gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fastramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called today to check on status, and I was told again that the Tech couldn't reproduce the concern. The Service advisor did say he opened a Star case so that they can advise them on what to inspect so it will be another day of waiting.

Last edited:

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe U-joints? It's likely the weakest/most inexpensive link in the system.

OP
OP
F

fastramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
update: dealer returned the vehicle until an appointment with a star rep could be set. I picked it up on friday the 28th. Today I called back to check on the status of the appointment and was informed that there would not be one. Star rep said that based on the information that the Tech shared and the current Covid restrictions that they will do nothing as the Tech advises that it is performing as designed.

I was given a number by the service adviser to call customer care and was basically told to complain to them and that maybe they would pressure the service manager to dig deeper.

at my request customer care set me up with an appointment with a different dealer to get a second opinion because I enthusiastically disagreed with the Tech's opinion. it will go to the second dealer next week after labor day.

one thing that really bothered me was when I retrieved my vehicle from the second visit, the door panel and steering wheel were covered in oil, and my average fuel econ dropped by 2.5 mpg avg. The documents listed a 5 mile test drive as the only work performed. The only way I can figure they could drag the fuel econ down that much in 5 miles was WOT the whole time. not exactly replicating stop and go traffic condition.
sounds more like the Tech rang its neck far enough to pick up a burger and back. no attempt to wipe down the oily mess which would also mean they didn't sanitize. There was also no feedback on the massive amounts of rotational slack in the drive shaft.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
update: dealer returned the vehicle until an appointment with a star rep could be set. I picked it up on friday the 28th. Today I called back to check on the status of the appointment and was informed that there would not be one. Star rep said that based on the information that the Tech shared and the current Covid restrictions that they will do nothing as the Tech advises that it is performing as designed.

I was given a number by the service adviser to call customer care and was basically told to complain to them and that maybe they would pressure the service manager to dig deeper.

at my request customer care set me up with an appointment with a different dealer to get a second opinion because I enthusiastically disagreed with the Tech's opinion. it will go to the second dealer next week after labor day.

one thing that really bothered me was when I retrieved my vehicle from the second visit, the door panel and steering wheel were covered in oil, and my average fuel econ dropped by 2.5 mpg avg. The documents listed a 5 mile test drive as the only work performed. The only way I can figure they could drag the fuel econ down that much in 5 miles was WOT the whole time. not exactly replicating stop and go traffic condition.
sounds more like the Tech rang its neck far enough to pick up a burger and back. no attempt to wipe down the oily mess which would also mean they didn't sanitize. There was also no feedback on the massive amounts of rotational slack in the drive shaft.

go test drive a new one and drive it through a mud puddle