Drivers window shattered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went out this morning to go to the store and as I'm approaching the truck I notice my driver's window was really frosted. When I got closer I could see the window was shattered. It was -15c here this morning and nothing has touched the window. Anybody have any idea how this could happen? Has it happened to anybody else?

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 192

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It shouldn't shatter even at those temps.

If nothing impacted it or if no hot water was thrown on it, I suspect defective glass.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sucks, in the pic you can see where started/was hit.

View attachment 63612

You're right, after reading your post I went out to take another look and it does look like it started there but I can't see any any impact point. I'm pretty sure nothing has hit it. Soo disappointed this happened. Really glad we're heading south in 1.5 weeks, screw this cold weather anyways.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You're right, after reading your post I went out to take another look and it does look like it started there but I can't see any any impact point. I'm pretty sure nothing has hit it. Soo disappointed this happened. Really glad we're heading south in 1.5 weeks, screw this cold weather anyways.

Agreed - it's tooooooooooo cold. Maybe the squirrel you ran over last week had a disgruntled family member that showed you a thing or two.:roflsquared:

I have to agree with (MADDOG), could be defective glass. unless you pissed someone off and they tapped it with a glass breaker... There's no inward/outward push on the window where force hit it.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It shouldn't shatter even at those temps.

If nothing impacted it or if no hot water was thrown on it, I suspect defective glass.

Just waiting for a response from the dealer where I purchased it, no impact that's visual for me too see. I hope it is defective glass, just got a couple of quote's to replace it in the driveway. one is $220.00 plus tax and another for $205.00 plus tax. That's not bad, not going to break the bank.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed - it's tooooooooooo cold. Maybe the squirrel you ran over last week had a disgruntled family member that showed you a thing or two.:roflsquared:

I have to agree with (MADDOG), could be defective glass. unless you pissed someone off and they tapped it with a glass breaker... There's no inward/outward push on the window where force hit it.

Just went and had another look, window is still flat but you can see where it started. i know what you mean but dent to see in window.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I work with glass. In your case it's hard to tell what happened to it. I don't think anybody would warranty it for you though.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:
OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The window is replaced and I heard from the dealer. Told me to bring in pictures and replacement bill. They are going to submit for warranty claim, worth a try I guess.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like your drip visors are the type that fit up into the window channel.I wonder if they're causing a pressure point on the glass?We've installed a few of these at work and when running the window up and down the glass does shift when it contacts the visor.I was going to get a set,but after seeing the glass shifting I decided to go with the old style external stick-on ones.Just something to consider.A combination of fairly extreme cold and a pressure point on the edge of the glass.

I think clh1220(the glass guy)would agree that the outside edge is the weekest point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like your drip visors are the type that fit up into the window channel.I wonder if they're causing a pressure point on the glass?We've installed a few of these at work and when running the window up and down the glass does shift when it contacts the visor.I was going to get a set,but after seeing the glass shifting I decided to go with the old style external stick-on ones.Just something to consider.A combination of fairly extreme cold and a pressure point on the edge of the glass.

I think clh1220(the glass guy)would agree that the outside edge is the weekest point.

I did think of this but the install guy said he had to remove the visor and re-install with new 3M tape. No mention of this being the possible cause

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am also a glass guy. Tempered glass is created by heating and precise quenching and cooling. Sometimes, small flaws or out of spec processes can affect tempered glass. The edge of tempered glass is the weakest point and flawed glass can make the edge even weaker.

Over the years, I've witnessed spontaneous tempered glass breakage. Its the nature of glass lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am also a glass guy. Tempered glass is created by heating and precise quenching and cooling. Sometimes, small flaws or out of spec processes can affect tempered glass. The edge of tempered glass is the weakest point and flawed glass can make the edge even weaker.

Over the years, I've witnessed spontaneous tempered glass breakage. Its the nature of glass lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can get it covered under warranty. Wait and see

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
ouch.. either someone shattered it for you, or there is a defect in the glass... I have never heard of a car window just randomly shattering

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ouch.. either someone shattered it for you, or there is a defect in the glass... I have never heard of a car window just randomly shattering

And the mystery continues, Apparently it's not all that uncommon. As a couple of glass guys have quoted on here, defective glass can happen

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi TerraNewf,

At least they are reimbursing you, or trying to. As for spontaneously exploding glass, I have no doubt it can happen but I have owned several 20+ year old cars and never had a piece of glass just shatter on its own. That is pretty bizarre.
Glad it is getting sorted and have a great day,
preachp

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi TerraNewf,

At least they are reimbursing you, or trying to. As for spontaneously exploding glass, I have no doubt it can happen but I have owned several 20+ year old cars and never had a piece of glass just shatter on its own. That is pretty bizarre.
Glad it is getting sorted and have a great day,
preachp

Thanks man, dealer said it could take awhile before a decision is made. I'm retired from an auto plant and where the glass is installed, there is always lots of broken glass. I guess some of it were accidents and maybe some defective glass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat