DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikes79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. I want to upgrade my headlights to a light with a DRL. I want the DRL to go on when I start the truck not when I turn on the parking lights. I have talked with American Truck and Real Truck. They recommend lights that they say will work but they have been wrong every time. Has anyone been successful with this? Can anyone recommend a headlight that will work the way I described? Thank you

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check your user settings in your cluster, or you will need to have DRL programmed into your BCM. If you know someone with Alpha-OBD; they can do it. A stealership will sometimes do it for a fee.

I've never heard of a headlight that can do that on its own without some type of relay, or BCM setting change.

If your wanting to have your lights come on like they do with the auto setting, you can black-out your light sensor so it thinks its dark all the time.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As Butler said, use Alfaobd and you can set any lights you want for the DRLs.

I have my marker lights set for DRL on my truck. Which I think is really cool since you don't see other RAM trucks around my area with the orange markers on all the time. Kind of like newer challengers that have the halo orage DRLs.

Also, you might have DRLs active already, in park the DRLs are deactivated so it is a bit of a pain to see what is working.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. I want to upgrade my headlights to a light with a DRL. I want the DRL to go on when I start the truck not when I turn on the parking lights.
You can program the truck with AlfaOBD to have DRLs and they'll operate like factory, they'll turn on when in gear if the parking brake is not set. I believe they turn on also when remote starting the vehicle.
If your truck came with projector style headlights then the Dedicated DRL wires are already at the headlights. If you have reflector style headlights the wiring can be added.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have my marker lights set for DRL on my truck. Which I think is really cool since you don't see other RAM trucks around my area with the orange markers on all the time. Kind of like newer challengers that have the halo orage DRLs.
I did this also, and it looks sooo much better!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a wide mouth bottle cap that covers the little dome in the front center of the dash board.
My headlights are always on, if the ignition is on.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used Alpha ODB to turn on my parking lights for DRL when I had the factory projectors. I now have the AlphaRex headlights with DRL's and sequential turn signals. Love these things