E Torque payoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I did some quick calculation on how many miles it will take to pay off the E torque option at a cost of $900 extra. The 5.7 E torque is rated at 19 combined vs. 17 on the standard hemi. If fuel stayed at $3 per gallon it looks like it will take about 51,000 miles to pay off the difference and then start saving money. New update, FCA raised the price of the Etorque by another $650 so payback is now over 80,000 miles.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL mileage calculations, I do not care the in least of the MPG gain, its that 130 torque off the line!

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'm not sure I'm actually getting the 2 mpg advantage. I'm hoping that it'll pull my car trailer as effortlessly as my Ecoboost did. I just kept having the dealer "X" option boxes and the eTorque wasn't a big dollar item at the time. Now it would have been getting iffy with the price increase. We'll see how it goes, I guess ...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL mileage calculations, I do not care the in least of the MPG gain, its that 130 torque off the line!

I don't think it works like you think it is. From what I have read, it does nothing for acceleration.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it works like you think it is. From what I have read, it does nothing for acceleration.

Technically yes and no. It doesn’t across the power band like a supercharge more like idle to low engine speed I think 2k rpms. That extra 130 is a lot of grunt as it still compounds on the Hemi

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Battery cost should be factored into the payback cost. At what point will the batteries have to be replaced, and what do they cost? Keep in mind, I know virtually nothing about etorque.

In the olden days, batteries might have lasted 5 years and they cost a couple thousand to replace. With a cost added of $900, I'm guessing there is not a huge battery pack to replace.

When I was in college, we built a hybrid car, and the rocket launches were spectacular with the instant motor torque.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Technically yes and no. It doesn’t across the power band like a supercharge more like idle to low engine speed I think 2k rpms. That extra 130 is a lot of grunt as it still compounds on the Hemi

I think you are going to be disappointed. I don't think it works this way either.

All of the reviews that have driven them have all mentioned that it doesn't add any power.
But, does have smooth, seamless, and fast stop/start.

I think it will also extend and smooth MDS operation.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would guess the lithium ion battery would be a pricey item when you have to replace it. For acceleration a pedal commander would probably give you more acceleration off the line.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wonder what will happen if tuners can get involved. Could they turn it into pure power? Bring your 1/4 down a second? Fun to think about.

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Assuming that the battery packs are similar to current electric car packs, they are proving to last for a long time, 8+ years. They would be relatively expensive to replace.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Many of the older batteries out of prius etc are being reused for solar house storage batteries. National Parks use them in the remote areas so there is a small market for the older batteries.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did some quick calculation on how many miles it will take to pay off the E torque option at a cost of $900 extra.

I would think the return on investment will come sooner if you're driving a lot of start/stops. Then I'm thinking the resale value of the truck is likely reduced because of the battery's lifetime and replacement cost.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A break even point (in fuel economy) of 51,000 miles is much like buying a tankless water heater (I have one). One should decide how much the "up front" money is worth. Granted, at today's interest rates, probably not a whole lot, but still a factor. Another consideration is that (according to what I have read, the eTorque electrical system is a 48-volt setup. Is there also a 12-volt system to power the accessories, or is some sort of voltage reduction system (48 VDC -> 12 VDC) used to feed those devices?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there also a 12-volt system to power the accessories, or is some sort of voltage reduction system (48 VDC -> 12 VDC) used to feed those devices?

Yes, there is a DC-DC converter between the 48V and the 12V systems. There is also a 12V battery as it still has a conventional 12V starter for cold starts. The truck is basically a conventional 12V design and the 48V mild hybrid is a add-on option. Vehicles that are designed from the start with a 48V system will likely be different.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there is a DC-DC converter between the 48V and the 12V systems. There is also a 12V battery as it still has a conventional 12V starter for cold starts. The truck is basically a conventional 12V design and the 48V mild hybrid is a add-on option. Vehicles that are designed from the start with a 48V system will likely be different.

Even then - accessories still run on 12v. Much like Tesla's still have a 12v battery.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Dont forget with the 51k break even point you stop at the gas stations a lot less, think 3 times a month instead of 4.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even then - accessories still run on 12v. Much like Tesla's still have a 12v battery.

Certainly true for accessories the DC-DC converter is here to stay even in vehicles designed around 48V. But high power systems will use 48V, like electric power steering, ABS/TC/ESC systems and starters in anything but P0 hybrids (which e-torque is).