E-Torque Physics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lospinoj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was considering trading in my 2016 1500 5.7 for a 2024 5.7 w/e-torque, got a great offer with a trade in but gut told me to walk away. The physics of the thing is simple enough, but looking at the numbers seems like there's only enough energy in the battery to get a 6,000 lb truck up to 60 mph about 1.5 times but I can't imagine anything close to that amount of power going through the fan belt. It's only designed to capture some breaking energy otherwise wasted and to be able to smooth out the start part of the stop/start (I hate that too) and provide momentary boost to torque. What could it save on gas vs. increased cost buried in the purchase price and the risk of additional complexity? Do truck buyers want quality/reliability/horsepower or fancy technology and a .8 MPG improvement?

Things like e-torque might make sense from RAM's point of view, the EPA forces them to increase their overall MPG numbers up every year, but not so sure it makes sense from the consumers point of view, well not this consumer anyway.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
e-torque is a downgrade. Just a bunch of useless ****

On the maintenance side of things, just look at the price of the parts of that junk.... hahahahahahaha

My buddy I off-road with has all that start an go junk in his gladiator, Its hilarious how much he paid for a starter replacement, because I sure as **** aint working on that garbage for him. the tiny fuel savings he's getting is costing him more money in the long run so far.

Against my advice he brought it to a stealer****. :doublepuke: So If i Remeber correctly his bill was close to 1k... ******* scammers.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It no doubt gives you an instantaneous boost of torque for a second or two to get you moving on the re-started engine from a stop but I believe that’s about it. I think its main purpose is to have what is essentially a king sized, belt- driven starter to smoothly (relatively speaking) spin up the motor and transmission far faster and smoother than a 12 V gear drive starter could. Better fuel economy - It would all depend on the start/stop feature in city traffic and I doubt it’s anything we can measure. It is a lot of complexity just to have what is essentially just a talking point for the Ad writers.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The physics of the thing is simple enough, but looking at the numbers seems like there's only enough energy in the battery to get a 6,000 lb truck up to 60 mph about 1.5 times but I can't imagine anything close to that amount of power going through the fan belt.

It's fine to be for or against it, but if you think it's sending enough power to accelerate the truck to 60mph you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, how much power it's applying, and how it's applying it. The etorque motor is less than 20hp.

In the simplest of terms, it's starting the tires rolling as an assist to the hemi off the line and it's kicking in small amounts of power when the transmission is shifting to smooth out the power spike. It also keeps the AC working when the hemi is shut off. It's never accelerating the truck to anything close to 6mph, let alone 60mph.

OP
OP
L

lospinoj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's fine to be for or against it, but if you think it's sending enough power to accelerate the truck to 60mph you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, how much power it's applying, and how it's applying it. The etorque motor is less than 20hp.

In the simplest of terms, it's starting the tires rolling as an assist to the hemi off the line and it's kicking in small amounts of power when the transmission is shifting to smooth out the power spike. It also keeps the AC working when the hemi is shut off. It's never accelerating the truck to anything close to 6mph, let alone 60mph.
Yes Sir, I understand it does not provided anything but brief torque. I did the math to get a read on how much energy was in the battery relative to the size of the truck, turns out it ain't much. The idea is fine, the fuel savings vs. cost of the thing is a meh, imho.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Was considering trading in my 2016 1500 5.7 for a 2024 5.7 w/e-torque, got a great offer with a trade in but gut told me to walk away. The physics of the thing is simple enough, but looking at the numbers seems like there's only enough energy in the battery to get a 6,000 lb truck up to 60 mph about 1.5 times but I can't imagine anything close to that amount of power going through the fan belt. It's only designed to capture some breaking energy otherwise wasted and to be able to smooth out the start part of the stop/start (I hate that too) and provide momentary boost to torque. What could it save on gas vs. increased cost buried in the purchase price and the risk of additional complexity? Do truck buyers want quality/reliability/horsepower or fancy technology and a .8 MPG improvement?

Things like e-torque might make sense from RAM's point of view, the EPA forces them to increase their overall MPG numbers up every year, but not so sure it makes sense from the consumers point of view, well not this consumer anyway.
From reading your post i don't think you understand this etorque system but your not far off ,there's a 48 volt battery behind the rear seat , all this dose is run everything once the engine shuts down and it turns the engine over to start as soon as you let off the brake , myself i don't think it saves much , just more things that can go wrong. mine is a 21 with 15K miles . the 2017 i traded in had better miles per gallon

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It also keeps the AC working when the hemi is shut off. It's never accelerating the truck to anything close to 6mph, let alone 60mph.
The etorque BSG does not keep the AC working when the engine is shut off. It cannot run independently of the engine. The engine has to be running for the AC system to be working. The etorque BSG restarts the engine when the HVAC system calls for cooling (or heating) to happen when the stop start system has the engine shut off.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

FWIW while you consider this, I have long been ahater of the stop/stop technology in cars but the eTorque Battery 100% (from my perspective) makes its as close to undetectable as I have experienced. Whatever gains I'm seeing on fuel conservation I don't pay enough attention. Assume it does what they say. HOWEVER, was much as I love my 2020 1500 RAM I just had a "leak" on my back window (common issue among RAM) which happened to leak onto the eStorque Battery an RF HUB located in the same area under the back window. RAM quoted me nearly $8K to replace the battery and the warranty will not cover the leak. RF Hub and labor associated with diagnosis the issue rounded out near $13K. Be warned....

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The etorque BSG does not keep the AC working when the engine is shut off. It cannot run independently of the engine. The engine has to be running for the AC system to be working. The etorque BSG restarts the engine when the HVAC system calls for cooling (or heating) to happen when the stop start system has the engine shut off.

Yup, you're right. I was mis-remembering, thinking of it defeating stop/start when the HVAC needed to run. Thanks for the correction.

DeanLefebvre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 eTorque
Once you own an e-torque Ram if you have trouble with the 48 volt battery behind the rear seat can you simply not replace it? What can be done? Other than paying $ 8 grand for a new behind the seat battery?

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Once you own an e-torque Ram if you have trouble with the 48 volt battery behind the rear seat can you simply not replace it? What can be done? Other than paying $ 8 grand for a new behind the seat battery?
Buy a used one from LKQ Online that’ll come with a warranty for a few hundred bucks.

Used Part

2019 Dodge 1500 Series Pickup Used Battery - ~359896078​

(48V, eTorque, opt XBZ)
Mileage: 146k
Source: 2019 Dodge 1500 Series Pickup

Price: $438.20

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not just a battery. It's more of a module. Ram calls it a Battery Pack Unit. As far as I know no one has taken that module apart to replace the actual battery inside. I would suspect that there's just as much of a chance for something besides the battery to fail inside that module. New 48v modules are not 8 grand either. More like $2000. Still expensive though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat