ECO Diesel exhaust problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ECO Diesel 3.6
Hello from Germany dear forum community.
First of all, excuse my bad english, i´ll try my best to describe my problems.

I bought a RAM in Germany from 2016 with an ECO diesel engine (3.0 V6) for 45.000€
The vehicle had 64,000 km at this time.

Every 1,000 km I got the message that my exhaust system was being regenerated and that the filter was 80% full.
However, when the message no longer appeared every 1000 km, but only a few 100 km, I was very confused.
The day before yesterday I regenerated the exhaust system and today the error came back.
115km after I first regenerated the filter. What could be the problem?
A sensor or the complete exhaust system?
Small attachment:
I sometimes drive more than 100km a day, normally the vehicle should regenerate itself automatically, right?

What do you from America actually think about the ECO Diesel? Is the model very disreputable with you?
In Germany we only have very few such vehicles and therefore hardly any empirical values.

I would be very happy to hear from you, thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Every 1,000 km I got the message that my exhaust system was being regenerated and that the filter was 80% full.
However, when the message no longer appeared every 1000 km, but only a few 100 km, I was very confused.
The day before yesterday I regenerated the exhaust system and today the error came back.
115km after I first regenerated the filter. What could be the problem?
Unless something was changed to comply with the laws of your country, the fact you were seeing a DPF is 80% full warning indicates you short drive the vehicle. Normally you shouldn't see a warning for the system having to perform a regeneration. That 80% full warning happens after multiple failed regeneration attempts.
It's possible the sensor for the DPF is malfunctioning or the DPF has gone bad is a reason why the distance has dropped to 115km.
By any chance can you set the cruise control to less than 40 km/h (25 mph)? I ask as it's possible the truck may have modified tuned ECM.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have been driving my 2016 Ram ec0-diesel only for short drives since i got sick.

During this period of time, approximately a month apart, i get the 80% notice
it reads something like diesel exhaust filter 80%, drive at highways speeds ...

When i see the notice, the next time that i drive the Ram,
i drive about 7 miles & the screen will change to 70%, another few miles & it drops to 60 %, then 50%, then 40%, then 30%, then 20% & right away the message goes away for another month, the distance covered is about 20 miles at highway speeds.

I do not do this while in 8th gear, i put the selector in 7th, that brings the RPMs up a bit.
So i don't have to drive to the next exit, which is about another 10 miles up the road