eco mode stopped ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey thanks everyone for the input. My 2017 has a six speed i suspect its because it was a late production 2016 sold in 17.
The 65rfe seems to only have been offered in Canada after 2013

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I'll show my ignorance here. I occasionally see postings where the "eco" light or mode is mentioned. I have never seen an eco mode indication or instrument panel light in my RAM. I keep wondering, " what the hell is eco mode"? I know I don't have MDS on the Pentastar. I get great fuel mileage but never see any type of eco mode indication. I just figured I did not have that function with the V-6. Help me out on this folks!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ECO Mode light on a Pentastar just indicates you are meeting several computer controlled parameters and that you are driving your vehicle economically, nothing to do with any MDS, as you know you do not have MDS in the Pentastar ne way. On MY 19, I can activate/deactivate the "ECO" light, but the ECO system is computer controlled and I cannot deactivate it. Maybe with alpha OBD but honestly in my case, not matter. On yer Pentastar, I do not know if U can Activate/Deactivate the actual mode and/or you have any options in your EVIC to do so. SO, my choice is to manually set gear ratio if I do not want the MDS to kick in.

POSTED a lil info below I found searching: Also found, on like Jeep Overlander 2014 and more, they actually have an ECO mode switch on center stack, saw it on dashboard pic of Grand Cherokee 2022 (so I guess U know I do not ride around in Jeeps, not since Army M151a2/3's, lol). Now I know we do not have it on Hemi and V-6 ED, cannot remember ever being in a Pentastar 6 Cylinder truck, so unknown if U have a "eco Mode" switch. Pretty sure all computer controlled.

ECO MODE (JEEP INFO) (Apparently Jeeps have a Switch, had to look it up, lol)​

Eco Mode helps improve fuel economy by adjusting the transmission shift schedule, idle speed and interactive deceleration fuel shut off. In models equipped with a V8 engine, Eco Mode also adjusts Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation. Automatically engaged upon vehicle start up, Eco Mode activates the available Quadra-Lift® air suspension system and lowers the Jeep® Grand Cherokee when the vehicle’s speed exceeds 88 kph (55 mph). On 4WD models in 4H, the system alters the front-to-rear torque split to help increase fuel efficiency. BELOW Jeep center Stack which is not in RAM trucks (Eco switch).

jp.JPG

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
ECO Mode light on a Pentastar just indicates you are meeting several computer controlled parameters and that you are driving your vehicle economically, nothing to do with any MDS, as you know you do not have MDS in the Pentastar ne way. On MY 19, I can activate/deactivate the "ECO" light, but the ECO system is computer controlled and I cannot deactivate it. Maybe with alpha OBD but honestly in my case, not matter. On yer Pentastar, I do not know if U can Activate/Deactivate the actual mode and/or you have any options in your EVIC to do so. SO, my choice is to manually set gear ratio if I do not want the MDS to kick in.

POSTED a lil info below I found searching: Also found, on like Jeep Overlander 2014 and more, they actually have an ECO mode switch on center stack, saw it on dashboard pic of Grand Cherokee 2022 (so I guess U know I do not ride around in Jeeps, not since Army M151a2/3's, lol). Now I know we do not have it on Hemi and V-6 ED, cannot remember ever being in a Pentastar 6 Cylinder truck, so unknown if U have a "eco Mode" switch. Pretty sure all computer controlled.

ECO MODE (JEEP INFO) (Apparently Jeeps have a Switch, had to look it up, lol)​

Eco Mode helps improve fuel economy by adjusting the transmission shift schedule, idle speed and interactive deceleration fuel shut off. In models equipped with a V8 engine, Eco Mode also adjusts Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation. Automatically engaged upon vehicle start up, Eco Mode activates the available Quadra-Lift® air suspension system and lowers the Jeep® Grand Cherokee when the vehicle’s speed exceeds 88 kph (55 mph). On 4WD models in 4H, the system alters the front-to-rear torque split to help increase fuel efficiency. BELOW Jeep center Stack which is not in RAM trucks (Eco switch).

View attachment 497310
I know that I have no switch or button to activate any kind of "eco-mode". In fact I figured it was just a way of the computer telling you that you are driving economically. Sort of a monitor as opposed to actually activating or de-activating something. I get some pretty nice fuel mileage numbers on a routine basis and I would think that the "eco" light would come on once in a while if I do in fact have that function. Maybe it is because my truck is a pretty basic Laramie. The only options I ordered beyond the Laramie trim was LSD and the 32 Gal. fuel tank.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to say, every motor has it's own pet peeves. The V6 gonna work a lil harder than the V8. Wish I had a 32 gal tank instead of 26 Gal, but alas, got a lowly Bighorn.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that I have no switch or button to activate any kind of "eco-mode". In fact I figured it was just a way of the computer telling you that you are driving economically. Sort of a monitor as opposed to actually activating or de-activating something. I get some pretty nice fuel mileage numbers on a routine basis and I would think that the "eco" light would come on once in a while if I do in fact have that function. Maybe it is because my truck is a pretty basic Laramie. The only options I ordered beyond the Laramie trim was LSD and the 32 Gal. fuel tank.
I just wanted to post as much info as I found. Heck, I did not even know the Jeeps had a "eco switch". Shows U the last time I was in a jeep, that would be a military one in 1988, LOL.

Last edited: