Ecodiesel Dies on vacation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
While on vacation with the family my 2016 ecodiesel died. I was making a store run and the engine just stops running. The engine woudn't start, seemed like it wanted to. But, it wouldn't start. I had it towed to the local dealership where they refused to look at the truck. At first they told me they were covered up and couldn't help me. I explained I was from out of town and stranded. Didn't matter they weren't going to look at it. I ask the service manager if they could just look at it to see if it was something simple. His response, 'It's not going to be simple." Then he begin to tell me what a piece of crap this engine was, he didn't see the point, etc. I asked to speak to the General Manager at this point. I explained my situation, I was from out of town with my family, basically stranded. He told me they weren't excepting any more ecodiesel work. They had 5 in the shop already. He also told me they wouldn't be selling any more. I didn't understand his response, I'm a Ram customer after all. I love my Truck. It's been our family car, my wife even loves it. To his credit he did call around to other dealers to find someone to work on it. So I had to have the truck towed to another dealership 45 minutes away. So, Im into $500 towing fees even before the truck is looked at. I had to leave the truck 400 miles away from home. The dealership took only 4 days to diagnose the problem. The high pressure fuel pump decintegrated leaving metal pieces in the fuel system. This will require the pump to be replaced along with the entire fuel system, injectors, fuel rail, the tank dropped and drained and cleaned. The total cost will be $8000. The dealership said it was caused by water in the fuel. but, then I found all the class action lawsuits because of the Bosch CP4 failures. It seems this pump may be a weak link due to the differences in diesel fuel here compaired to other countrys. But, an $8000 repair is a hard pill to swallow, even if I do love the truck.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a damn shame. I’m surprised if it’s true that Ram‘s franchise agreement will allow a dealer to refuse to repair a product. Although I wouldn’t really want a job done by a party who’s forced to perform skilled work.

I have been mulling over the idea of a new diesel vehicle, but there are just too many stories like this to ever consider the EcoD.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't seem to have the same experience with My old 2009 Ram HEMI or my current 2016 Ram Ecodiesel

The only issues that i had with the 2009 was covered under recall & that was exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side & pinion nut seal, also covered under warranty, but they fixed it wrong & the whole read differential had to be rebuilt, but they paid for that too.

Everything with the ecodiesel has been covered under warranty, but some recalls have not yet been fixed due to a parts shortage

Neither vehicle has ever been on the hook, they were able to drive to the dealership under their own power.

Unlike the Fords that i have owned, automatic transmissions are always being towed to get the transmissions repaired

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@RobertD did the truck have the AEM update? It's possible the truck is under the AEM warranty. Basically anything to do with emissions (that includes fuel and air delivery) is covered for 4 yes/48K miles from the date the AEM was performed.

OP
OP
R

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
@RobertD did the truck have the AEM update? It's possible the truck is under the AEM warranty. Basically anything to do with emissions (that includes fuel and air delivery) is covered for 4 yes/48K miles from the date the AEM was performed.
Yes, I had the AEM done. How would I know if this would be covered? I still have the paperwork on the warranty. I'll get it down and read it again. The service manager from the dealership was blaming water in the fuel. I just don't buy that. Of course, the AEM warranty was never discussed by him. It looks like the high pressure pump is a know problem with a lot of manufacturers not just Ram. If this is true it sad that Ram would put the customer on the hook for a know issue with such a high cost to repair.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes, I had the AEM done. How would I know if this would be covered? I still have the paperwork on the warranty. I'll get it down and read it again. The service manager from the dealership was blaming water in the fuel. I just don't buy that. Of course, the AEM warranty was never discussed by him.
Check the paperwork the HPFP is listed. Go there and pull your own fuel sample to have tested and if I'm not mistaken the Water-in-Fuel sets a dash indicator.
Part of why dealers try to push the blame to the customer is what you pay for the repair is sometimes almost double what warranty pays.

OP
OP
R

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
Check the paperwork the HPFP is listed. Go there and pull your own fuel sample to have tested and if I'm not mistaken the Water-in-Fuel sets a dash indicator.
Part of why dealers try to push the blame to the customer is what you pay for the repair is sometimes almost double what warranty pays.
There were no dash lights at all when the engine stopped. It was as if I shut the truck off myself.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
Warranty work is and always has been about 1/2 of what flat rate pays, very few things give a decent return on warranty work, a good tech may make out ok on warranty but would do better on the flat rate.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dat is why I got rid of my Gen 2 ED, which only had 10K on odometer, in 2018. Between the lousy CP4 pumps, and RAM was allegedly doing upgrades or going back to the CP3 pump, and the EGR's leaking, and the turbo's, and the Dpf systems, just too much mandated EPA stuff IMHO. My ED was great, but I do not regret going to Hemi.

ADDED: Why I always ran Diesel Kleen to add more cetane and lubricants into the fuel to help fuel system. This IMHO...

OP
OP
R

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
I check the paperwork I didnt find the HPFP listed. Some of the fuel system was, injectors, lines. But, the first three linses of the warranty paperwork states void is cause by accident or abuse. I'm guessing they will say water in the fuel is abuse.

OP
OP
R

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
I don't seem to have the same experience with My old 2009 Ram HEMI or my current 2016 Ram Ecodiesel

The only issues that i had with the 2009 was covered under recall & that was exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side & pinion nut seal, also covered under warranty, but they fixed it wrong & the whole read differential had to be rebuilt, but they paid for that too.

Everything with the ecodiesel has been covered under warranty, but some recalls have not yet been fixed due to a parts shortage

Neither vehicle has ever been on the hook, they were able to drive to the dealership under their own power.

Unlike the Fords that i have owned, automatic transmissions are always being towed to get the transmissions repaired
GT, I hear you. My brother has an old dodge with a diesel. The dang truck is falling apart around that old diesel. But, the motor still hums along. knowing what I know after reading the forums and what happened to my truck. I waould be afraid to buy or drive an ecodiesel out of town. I know my wife wouldn't. You mess up her beach vacation and some on is going to pay hell. That's me at the moment. LOL

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
If your truck went through the class action suit, you have a extension on your warrantee. Call Ram cares and have them put you in touch with the person handling claims. I think its under a code "w79". Maybe it will help. I had a DEF pump fail at 107k & 5+ years. They covered it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I check the paperwork I didnt find the HPFP listed. Some of the fuel system was, injectors, lines. But, the first three linses of the warranty paperwork states void is cause by accident or abuse. I'm guessing they will say water in the fuel is abuse.
This is straight from the AEM settlement paperwork: High pressure injection pump and regulator.
Screenshot_20210721-163016-065.png
Screenshot_20210721-163823-222.png
It pretty much covers anything that handles the fuel or air going through the engine. About the only thing it doesn't spell out specifically is the intercooler, but the turbo and the rest of intake assembly is mentioned.

OP
OP
R

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
Well, the truck is repaired to the tune of $9200. All in with towing and exspense to get home. It cost me $10K. It was hard to write that check! i did open a claim with Ram and they did investigate. They ultimately denied my claim due to the fuel contamination. I also got a sample of the fuel and it does have some sort of contaimination in it. I don't think it's water because the fuel and contamination never separate. I have opened a case with the place I bought the fuel. So, I'll see how far Iget with that.

Oakland Chariot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
So, the same thing just happened to me: 2018 ecodiesel, got it with 15k miles, drove it another 12k over 10 months, and then out of nowhere it just wouldn't start. no warning lights or sluggishness. the dealership took a fuel sample: no gas, but fuel was miscolored, and with small metal debris. worse: the fuel sensor was covered in gel. Their diagnosis: the biodiesel I'd been putting in gelatinized. (B20R80 from the local Biofuel Oasis in Berkeley). They said i either got a bad batch, or it was contaminated, but more likely: the Ecodiesel engine is just too sensitive for biofuel (Even a B20, not a B99 or anything). Yeah, I should have replaced the filters the second i started putting biofuel in. Anyway, Curious if anyone here had a similar experience or could offer any insight on if replacing fuel filter more often would allow me to put in biofuel.