Ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wareagle32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about buying a ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with ecodiesel. Need pros and cons. Will be daily driver. Drive 60 miles round trip to work all interstate.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pro: you will save a consierable amount of money using the EcoDiesel, powerful engine
Con: louder than a hemi but probably quieter than a cummins
Chris

OP
OP
Wareagle32

Wareagle32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to buy ecodiesel need help with pros and cons of the truck. Will engine and tranny last.

catmatton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you plan on doing a lot of long driving? I was talking to a friend whom works at a dealership and (please correct me if I’m wrong) if you don’t drive them for long enough time frames you get a message on the screen saying you need to go for a 30-60 min drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
awesome fuel mileage the trans is as good as in the hemi but you have to drive a fair distance when you drive it as it has to regen, either than that you will love it.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You might want to check the EcoDiesel forum. There are LOTS of engine failures. I had a 2016. Loved the truck, but got rid of it because of all the reports of engine trouble. Seems you either get a good one which lasts for 100's of thousands of miles, or it will blow up and any given time??? Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. It is a known problem. Hope this helps...

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
ecodiesel has pretty good fuel economy with the driving you are doing it will pay for itself pretty quick you will enjoy it very much.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ should be ok -
Since it doesn’t sound like ur hauling, a gas motor may be a better choice for you. But hey, what ever floats ur boat. I would drive a hemi with a 8 speed and an eco so u can have a good understanding of the two trucks and how they perform and make a decision that best suits ur needs.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should do the math of the payback period. IIRC, the upcharge for an Eco is north of $4k. It takes some people 3 to 4 years to recoup those costs from the mpg savings. If you're not towing or hauling, I would get a Pentastar with a 3.21 rear end. Your fuel economy wouldn't be far off the Eco and there is no upcharge for a Pentastar.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didn't get a diesel because it doesn't say Cummins on it and because they've had a lot of problems and impossible to find.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should do the math of the payback period. IIRC, the upcharge for an Eco is north of $4k. It takes some people 3 to 4 years to recoup those costs from the mpg savings. If you're not towing or hauling, I would get a Pentastar with a 3.21 rear end. Your fuel economy wouldn't be far off the Eco and there is no upcharge for a Pentastar.
Agreed 100%
for reliable fuel economy the pentastar is the way to go.. I've read that given the 4K upcharge for the EcoDiesel it would take like 100k miles for it to pay off in fuel savings ( not factoring in breakdown or maintenance)
.. considering the engine and emissions systems have all sorts of problems which will cost money to fix, that number will never be achievable.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
The eco diesel isn't going to save you money. It'll net you great mileage but your return on investment break even point will be north of 100k miles. This is talking new of course.... if you're able to find what you wan't used at a good price then all of that changes.

Personally I love the concept and have followed the eco since it was released. It is all over the place right now as far as reliability. There are ALOT of confirmed issues and horror stories, but it's still new in its life and I'm sure it'll develop into a hit. Just not stable enough for me to buy in yet

I went from 1/2 tons to diesel HD's and now back to half tons on the Ram side. Will absolutely be going the diesel 1.2 ton route when they have things more reliable. Wether that will be Ram or F**D who knows, seems like the race is on now to master 1/2 ton diesel tech..... Why ram didn't develop and engine for this truck with /Cummins is mind boggling given there current following on the HD side.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been in and out of diesel for decades. Buy a diesel if you just want one or like the way they drive. Nothing wrong with that. Forget the money thing or any cost benefit as that can change every 6 months or with one unscheduled repair. You can try to use cost/benefit to rationalize the decision to your spouse, but you'd have to cook the books so it comes out to your benefit.

Obviously there are situations and use cases where the diesel has significant performance advantage. The eco diesel is used for years in a lot of different brands in Europe for one. Do they all have a history of spontaneous explosion, or just the North American models? I hated it when a leaky Cummins injector would destroy the engine pretty quick.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just don't...I tried the eco diesel experiment for a month. I traded my 12 reliable hemi for a 15 eco that had a constant CEL. Best mileage I saw with same tires was only 2 mpgs more than gas. The concept is great but the emissions BS makes more problems then the potential gains. Join the ecodiesel forum or the facebook ecodiesel page before you make the decision and see for yourself. This forum has always been about what mods can I do to make my truck better the ecodiesel forum is doom and gloom or my truck gets 30 mpgs deleted pulling a TT upwind. The risk was just to great I was able to trade out if it even after Chrysler sent a tech and could not solve the CEL. Back in a 17 hemi, no lag no emissions ******** and Ill live with the 2 mpgs less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
About a year and a half ago I was contemplating buying either a 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 or a 2500 Cummins 4x4. My son, who happens to work on diesel engines for a living, (large generators not vehicles), told me to stay away from the Eco as he has had problems with engines from the manufacturer of the Eco engines (don't remember who makes them off the top of my head), although he's never actually worked on the Eco. He has, however, worked on the Cummins and he told me those are about bulletproof (except maybe the water pump LOL - {see recent recall}). I don't know if anything has changed in a year and a half but when it comes to diesels I trust what he says.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me personally I wouldn’t. I love oil-burners but not with all that Kommiefornia emissions crap on them, CTD’s included. Too much unnecessary crap to go bad and when it does, it ain’t cheap to fix. I guess if you got a rock-solid, lifetime “only-owner” warranty, you’d be alright. But as others’ said, with those DPF’s, they need to be ran in order to function correctly to keep all that soot burnt out of the exhaust filter. Short trips and you’ll be regenning all the time, probably make it a lot sooner to having to have your exhaust filter replaced or put in an oven to bake it.

As I said, I love diesels and would love to have even a big ole 3/4-ton CTD but thanks to our buddies over there on the midwestern coast, no thank you. Gasser it is for me unless I was doing a lot of heavy towing and just absolutely needed a diesel for what it was actually meant for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't have an opinion on the ecodiesel itself when it comes to longevity, but the trans should be fine. Don't overlook the Pentastar engine. Take one for a test ride.