Empty truck with excess payload warning???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacobsen

Reaction score
My compressor went out so I replaced the compressor, valve block and all four shocks, checked and confirmed no leaks. Off-road 2 on my 2015 Laramie Limited won't work due to excess payload warning but the truck is empty. I attempted about two dozen times to calibrate the suspension using the rear lower control arm bolt to ground on the front and the forward lower control arm bolt on the rear. My calculation between ground and Center spindle is 15.5 inches. Any calibration settings I input into Alfa OBD give me excess payload warning and off-road 2 unavailable. Had an appointment at the dealer who canceled when I showed up for my appointment and wants to schedule 8 Days Later so I said screw it.

Anyone deal with this before? Ride height sensors? Control module?

View attachment 93701
View attachment 93700

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you consult the factory service manual? Personally I think you'd find your answer in there and probably more meaningful (greater detail). The section on the air ride is very comprehensive.

Do some searches on this forum section for .pdf manuals for Ram. Should be able to find one in about 5 min..

OP
OP
J

Jacobsen

Reaction score
So the dealer is saying that they think the arnott air shocks are needing more pressure than the stock shocks need to lift the truck and that is what's causing the excess payload message.

Kinson33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoD
So the dealer is saying that they think the arnott air shocks are needing more pressure than the stock shocks need to lift the truck and that is what's causing the excess payload message.

Can you put that in layman's terms for me? Having the same payload warning issues and trying to trouble shoot. Sometimes the driver side will be completely deflated while the passenger side stays up. Sometimes its the rear only. Definitely not a leak issue for me, pretty sure its the solenoid valve block or position sensors.

OP
OP
J

Jacobsen

Reaction score
Can you put that in layman's terms for me? Having the same payload warning issues and trying to trouble shoot. Sometimes the driver side will be completely deflated while the passenger side stays up. Sometimes its the rear only. Definitely not a leak issue for me, pretty sure its the solenoid valve block or position sensors.
Apparently the way the truck determines the load is by the amount of pressure the needed to expand the bags. So if there's a restriction or for example if these arnott shocks are stiffer or harder to expand it could cause the computer to think there is a heavier load on the truck then should be. This was just their guess before they said they wanted a day or two to look at it and at 120 to 155 per hour that's expensive. I wonder if I put the lines too far into the valve block? I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out what it might be other than what the dealer is saying because that's what I thought it was before I even brought it there. Literally nothing is different, maybe there's not enough nitrogen in the system? But they seem to think it checked out.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm so glad I ripped the air suspension out of my truck last year and installed Bilsteins.
OP, I have no help for you. But, when/if my air suspension fails, I will be installing coils and deleting the system. I know I will eventually regret going for the air suspension.