Engine code U0001 High Speed CAN comm Bus question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 14 Ram 1500 Sport w/52k just threw a code U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus

I’m suppose to be going on an out of state500 mile trip pulling my little travel trailer, and it’s not looking like I can get in in time.

The eng. light illuminated but then went out, but when rescanning, that same alert keeps popping up.
This seems like a very broad code, meaning something is wrong with the computer?

Any guidance appreciated

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you have anything aftermarket plugged into the OBD port, or tied into the CANbus like a remote start, radio, power running boards, etc?
It can also be caused by a loose/bad connection of just about any of the vehicle modules.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U0001-CAN C BUS

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•Ignition on
•Battery voltage between 10.0 and 16.0 volts

Set Conditions:

•The controller detects an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the CAN C Bus circuit.

Possible Causes
CAN C BUS CIRCUITS OPEN OR SHORTED
DTCS RELATED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE, IGNITION, OR VIN MESSAGES
BODY CONTROL MODULE POWER AND GROUND
BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)
MODULE THAT SET THIS DTC

See this link for diagnosing the CAN Bus:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ho1tMxyVgFb7C7vhkwi4uKATel_mZiOz

See this link for Can Bus voltages:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13S0MoFp_jJqbTYCWM3EtqMmXhSSC0M5b/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a whole load of issues. Canbus failure could be pcm, can star connector, can c connector, tipm, or a power failure as well somewhere in the system. I’ve done a good bit of research since I had an issue in my truck. Mine ended up being a faulty ipc (Intelligent Power Control) board which is integrated into the tipm. I had quite a few issues though in my truck and it would shut down on me all the time. Fortunately dealer fixed mine under warranty.

OP
OP
viclava

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I think I may have figured it out, or it’s just coincidence. About a week and a half earlier I went out in Garage to start my truck in morning and it was dead. Put it on charger for couple hours and charged it up and it’s been holding charge.

Then, I put my little ZUS car scanner on and the app on my phone ran a scan and it popped up. So, I’m going to check it tomorrow and see after clearing it during the battery replacement, if when running another scan, it shows the same U0001.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the battery goes dead or is disconnected you can get a loss of comm faults. My mechanic buddy told me about this when I asked him about replacing the battery in my truck. He said just clear them, nothing to be concerned about.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More than likely yes. Battery dying will cause that. Bad or weak batteries can cause a plethora of issues in new vehicle electronics. Hence why my dream truck is a 2001 5.9 diesel 24valve with a 12valve p pump conversion and a turbo upgrade. No electronics to go bad.