Engine dying in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backinthesaddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 1500 5.7 that will randomly die when it gets really cold out (below 20 degrees). It most commonly occurs when shifting from any gear to drive. As soon as put in drive it dies. There is no rhyme or reason either, it is not like it happens every day or every time I drive the truck.

Have any of you had any issue like this occur?

Last year I had a similar issue with the dash cluster failing in similar weather conditions. The cluster would not come on with the truck and the windshield wipers would run until the truck got warm enough for the cluster to come on. Replaced the cluster, issue disappeared.

The only issues I have with my Ram are in below freezing weather.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Try shifting to Reverse then Neutral then to Drive. Let each gear including neutral engage fully before shifting to the next gear. This might help, could be a sign of tranny issues.

OP
OP
B

backinthesaddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks HammerHead. The only concern is the infrequent amount of times it dies. I could shift into each gear but that would be a pain to do every time and not know if it was going to die or not.

I was wondering if there may be another computer component that may cause this since I was also having issues with the cluster when it got cold too. The temperature seems to be the only thing impacting these inconsistent issues.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any check engine lights? Whether or not there is, not sure if the key dance code retrieval trick works on that 12 but you could try that to see if you have any stored codes. Or you could just take it to your local parts house for a free diagnostic check if you don’t have a code reader of your own.

It could be a bad idle air control valve too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

backinthesaddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No lights or codes. I have a OBD scanner but it does not indicate anything wrong.

I cleaned the throttle body last year when it first started occurring but there wasn't any change in behavior, I haven't tried the idle air control valve though.