engine guy with a trans problem.. need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meanstreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
545rfe in a 2003 dakota, 4.7 slt, no codes thrown. bought the truck as a project with my 15 yo son. guy said everything on the truck worked. drove it down the road and drove ok. stripped down the eng. to the block complete rebuild. he just turned 16 school starts tommorow and he has no truck. Down the drive way and a mile down the road shifts fine. once it heats up diff. story. it will not up shift unless you completely let off the gas. will down shift into passing gear and everything else works fine. new filter and seal in route. fluid seems fine, clean and level but not sure if the dipstick is out of this truck. i found out the hard way the oil dipstick is not. any recommendations?

Last edited:

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How many miles on this? Did you put new fluid in it? Have you dropped the pan yet?

OP
OP
M

meanstreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
190k miles. i didnt replace the fluid it looks new. pan gasket and filter should be here today