ENGINE SPUTTERS SLIGHTLY AT CERTAIN SPEEDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebearju

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Good morning! I have been trying to figure this issue out since I bought my truck back in December of 2023. Around 30-50 mph when you are cruising with your foot barley on the accelerator it will sputter slightly. I also noticed it do it when I have had the truck on cruise at 70mph. My truck has 73k and I thought it was the spark plugs so I replaced them and after inspecting them they did need to be replaced. I also did a transmission fluid exchange and replaced the pan with a dorman pan and filter. I did use OEM fluid. The sputter is still there! The check engine light will not come one and I have checked for stored codes and there is nothing there. Anyone have any suggestions?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good morning! I have been trying to figure this issue out since I bought my truck back in December of 2023. Around 30-50 mph when you are cruising with your foot barley on the accelerator it will sputter slightly. I also noticed it do it when I have had the truck on cruise at 70mph. My truck has 73k and I thought it was the spark plugs so I replaced them and after inspecting them they did need to be replaced. I also did a transmission fluid exchange and replaced the pan with a dorman pan and filter. I did use OEM fluid. The sputter is still there! The check engine light will not come one and I have checked for stored codes and there is nothing there. Anyone have any suggestions?
I had this experience before an injector failed. I've had injectors 2 and 4 replaced but occasionally I get an ever so slight dip in power and I'm betting that it's injector 6 on the way out...

OP
OP
thebearju

thebearju

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I had suspicion that it was fuel related. A few weeks ago during a cold start up first thing in the morning it would run rough as F with a high idle and slowly go away and about 10 seconds later it would run fine. Would never have a issue afterwards all day other than that slight sputter. I was debating on checking the fuel pressure coming from the pump and now that you brought up injectors I'll have to check my injector pulse. I have a Matco MAXLITEA scan tool and I need to check and see if it can read my injector values cause that would be nice. I will defiantly look into the injectors and my fuel pump for the heck of it. I appreciate it!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had suspicion that it was fuel related. A few weeks ago during a cold start up first thing in the morning it would run rough as F with a high idle and slowly go away and about 10 seconds later it would run fine. Would never have a issue afterwards all day other than that slight sputter. I was debating on checking the fuel pressure coming from the pump and now that you brought up injectors I'll have to check my injector pulse. I have a Matco MAXLITEA scan tool and I need to check and see if it can read my injector values cause that would be nice. I will defiantly look into the injectors and my fuel pump for the heck of it. I appreciate it!
If you have the tools, this might help you diagnose it too (service notes from my repair)...

1711990789631.png

OP
OP
thebearju

thebearju

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
If you have the tools, this might help you diagnose it too (service notes from my repair)...

View attachment 540459
I filled up my tank and decided to slap some injector cleaner in it. Haven't had any issues since. I believe it's a injector like you said but it seems like the cleaner helped clean up the injector so we shall see if it does it again. If it does then I'll just start digging into the injectors. I really appreciate the advice man!