Engine swap 4.7 to 6.1/6.4/5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRT-10 Goals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which engine will be the best bang for my buck, looking for around 400-500hp. I know the 5.7 is 345hp, the 6.1 is 425hp, and the 6.4 is 470hp. This is my daily driver so reliability is high on my list, something I can cruise but have the power when I need it. I'm also not looking to sink a boat-load of money into it. From my research the 6.1 is the one I'm favoring, but I'm open to opinions. It's a 2003 Ram 1500 SLT with the garbage 4.7.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Which engine will be the best bang for my buck, looking for around 400-500hp. I know the 5.7 is 345hp, the 6.1 is 425hp, and the 6.4 is 470hp. This is my daily driver so reliability is high on my list, something I can cruise but have the power when I need it. I'm also not looking to sink a boat-load of money into it. From my research the 6.1 is the one I'm favoring, but I'm open to opinions. It's a 2003 Ram 1500 SLT with the garbage 4.7.

Sorry dude but unless you have unlimited funds then your sol.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How much of a budget are you working with??

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Also has garbage tuning ability. As they said, what is your budget and/or level of mechanical ability (and please don't say something to the effect of oh I've swapped such and such engine in old cars; it's not the same)? Because you basically want turn your truck into a mutant no one will most likely want nor will you likely be able to trade in (once they run the VIN and figure it our something ain't quite right lol) and not necessarily be reliable. Upside is the 4.7 & 5.7 or 6.1 use similar engine management. I wouldn't even bother counting the 6.4/392 in this discussion because that is a VVT/active intake/possibly MDS next gen engine that you don't really have a snowball's chance in hell making work in an 03 Ram unless you have unlimited dollars for the people who would have to try and make the computer modules play nice with each other. Easy part for the 5.7/6.1 is that it will drop in and bolt to your transmission (aaaaaaand that's where the easy part ends). The 4.7 PCM isn't designed to fire the coil setup on the hemi (especially since there are two different styles). The hemi has electronic throttle body (which your truck is not wired for because 4.7 is cable). Exhaust will be different, requiring changes (or new), especially with 6.1 heads as the exhaust ports are shaped different. If you stay with a truck version then your accessories will work, however if you decide you want to try and use a car intake manifold you're screwed because of TB location and accessory drive placement; 6.1 heads also have different/bigger intake ports as well. It branches from there, especially since you actually have a goal of 400-500hp (you weren't specific with crank hp or wheel hp). You didn't specify whether you had a manual or auto, but regardless the 4.7 manual will most likely not stand up to that power level and if auto that 545RFE will live for awhile but I'm betting you like to romp on it; it won't last all that long at that power level.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I read a thread somewhere else. A guy tried to do the exact same thing, drop a 5.7 into a 4.7 02 truck. The thread went on for two years, he dumped countless amounts of money into it and in the end he really couldn't keep it running. He also stated he thought he could put headers and a 6.1 cam into it and have 450wheel horsepower, so he might have been in over his head. Are you asking because you want a project truck to say you swapped the engine, or you want to do it just a cheap alternative to a new truck? Cause in the long run, it won't be budget friendly by any means..

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read a thread somewhere else. A guy tried to do the exact same thing, drop a 5.7 into a 4.7 02 truck. The thread went on for two years, he dumped countless amounts of money into it and in the end he really couldn't keep it running. He also stated he thought he could put headers and a 6.1 cam into it and have 450wheel horsepower, so he might have been in over his head. Are you asking because you want a project truck to say you swapped the engine, or you want to do it just a cheap alternative to a new truck? Cause in the long run, it won't be budget friendly by any means..

There was actually a guy some years back who successfully swapped in all the good bits from an SRT-10 into his 02 quad cab 1500 (engine & trans at least, I know he left the stock 9.25 out back...wonder if it held up or he blew it apart lol).

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There was actually a guy some years back who successfully swapped in all the good bits from an SRT-10 into his 02 quad cab 1500 (engine & trans at least, I know he left the stock 9.25 out back...wonder if it held up or he blew it apart lol).

Sounds awesome, that's a feat. I'm all for a sweet project truck. As long as the person realizes how many issues you are gonna have

Last edited:

tango68ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
old thread but i have a "Franken-Ram" ..former '03 4.7 now powered by an '08 6.1 with a truck manifold... it is a great truck! Runs strong, though it throws a code now and then... the guy that built it in Miami did a great job! I dont know how he tuned the '03 ECm, but it all works well... " '03 Ram 1500; '08 SRT-8 6.1; '12 20" wheels; SRT brakes and rear".. what a "Franken-Ram"!
33475208_10211804374488133_4473874429297819648_n.jpg

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Do u have the name of the shop who did that in miami I'm always looking for a good shop down here

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do u have the name of the shop who did that in miami I'm always looking for a good shop down here

Why does your profile say 6.5 then lol? Also curious about your brakes, as they don't look like the SRT brakes...these are the SRT brakes:

IMAG3675.jpg
DSC01386.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm a bit confused was this meant for someone else

Yeah I'm sorry, wrong one

old thread but i have a "Franken-Ram" ..former '03 4.7 now powered by an '08 6.1 with a truck manifold... it is a great truck! Runs strong, though it throws a code now and then... the guy that built it in Miami did a great job! I dont know how he tuned the '03 ECm, but it all works well... " '03 Ram 1500; '08 SRT-8 6.1; '12 20" wheels; SRT brakes and rear".. what a "Franken-Ram"!

My above post was meant for you lol

tango68ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I'm sorry, wrong one

My above post was meant for you lol

.. Back on the site.. Good catch on the engine size HemiLoneStar.. it was a typo. As far as the brakes, that is what the guy i bought it from stated. I "assumed" he was right since they are slotted and bigger than my first '03 Hemi Sport i had years ago.. It is always great to have someone as observant as you are to get things right for the rest of us. Thanks!

tango68ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
.. Back on the site.. Good catch on the engine size HemiLoneStar.. it was a typo. As far as the brakes, that is what the guy i bought it from stated. I "assumed" he was right since they are slotted and bigger than my first '03 Hemi Sport i had years ago.. It is always great to have someone as observant as you are to get things right for the rest of us. Thanks!

That's why I was curious, not to call out false info, I wanted to see if there was a cheaper viable alternative for people. Do you have any close ups?

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi

tango68ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny I called him a little while back to see if he would do the swap and he told me no

Yeah, he's not a "swap" guy. His main business is taking the engines out; refurbing them; and sending them down to Central and SOuth America. This one was his toy.

Now, i would think you can get an engine from him and do it yourself or have someone help

tango68ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I was curious, not to call out false info, I wanted to see if there was a cheaper viable alternative for people. Do you have any close ups?

No problem, good catch. YOu know how many times i have had to restart a profile on this site? This is my third RAM since '03 and my fifth time resetting on this website... so I am sure a typo or two might happen..

As far as engine pics, i'll see what i can do when i get back home.

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Also has garbage tuning ability. As they said, what is your budget and/or level of mechanical ability (and please don't say something to the effect of oh I've swapped such and such engine in old cars; it's not the same)? Because you basically want turn your truck into a mutant no one will most likely want nor will you likely be able to trade in (once they run the VIN and figure it our something ain't quite right lol) and not necessarily be reliable. Upside is the 4.7 & 5.7 or 6.1 use similar engine management. I wouldn't even bother counting the 6.4/392 in this discussion because that is a VVT/active intake/possibly MDS next gen engine that you don't really have a snowball's chance in hell making work in an 03 Ram unless you have unlimited dollars for the people who would have to try and make the computer modules play nice with each other. Easy part for the 5.7/6.1 is that it will drop in and bolt to your transmission (aaaaaaand that's where the easy part ends). The 4.7 PCM isn't designed to fire the coil setup on the hemi (especially since there are two different styles). The hemi has electronic throttle body (which your truck is not wired for because 4.7 is cable). Exhaust will be different, requiring changes (or new), especially with 6.1 heads as the exhaust ports are shaped different. If you stay with a truck version then your accessories will work, however if you decide you want to try and use a car intake manifold you're screwed because of TB location and accessory drive placement; 6.1 heads also have different/bigger intake ports as well. It branches from there, especially since you actually have a goal of 400-500hp (you weren't specific with crank hp or wheel hp). You didn't specify whether you had a manual or auto, but regardless the 4.7 manual will most likely not stand up to that power level and if auto that 545RFE will live for awhile but I'm betting you like to romp on it; it won't last all that long at that power level.

Thank you Hemilonestar, for this post. My 4.7 just crapped out on me on Monday. I found a 5.9 motor tonight that I was considering, but after reading your comment here, It aint gonna work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45