ETorque vs. Non - MPG data

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieldrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 ETorque
I just came across some fuel mileage data for the ETorque vs. the non ETorque 5.7's
I recall seeing inquiries about this sort of thing here in the past so I figured I'd share.
These are screen shots from the Fuelly web page.

et1.jpget2.jpg

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks about right to me. I don’t have the etorque and I can see my mileage tanking in the city with lots of red lights….

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Our current truck doesn't have etorque. Previous one did. Fuel economy for both was 15 - 15.5 mpg. No real noticeable difference. But more than 80% of the miles driven are on two lane highways at speeds below 65 mph. Very little city mileage and almost no opportunities for stop/start operation. I can see fuel economy for etorque equipped trucks being much better than non-etorque equipped trucks if you drive in a lot of city traffic.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have non e torque with at tires stock height and I get 16mpg. Drive mostly hwy at 75mph

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have e-torque and my city mileage is better than highway. I tend to drive a little faster on the highway than most.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I drive 75/65 on the highway to my deer camp and back often. 3.5 hours on I 75 at 75 and an hour on highway 2 at 65. I get 21.5 mpg in the summer and 20.0 in the winter on the round trip. I assume it’s winter blend gasoline that affects the mileage. I use cruise control on the whole trip. No real load to speak of with this data.

Around town (suburbs/ small cities) I am right around 15-16 in the summer and 14 in the winter. I let my truck in warm up 5-10 minutes when it’s 40 or below.

These trucks really amaze me. My 2011 4.7 was terrible mileage comparably.

No etorque. I bet it would help in the city though. Plus I keep hearing about how bad idling is for the hemi. I do idle a lot. Maybe the etorque will save cams?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I
drive 75/65 on the highway to my deer camp and back often. 3.5 hours on I 75 at 75 and an hour on highway 2 at 65. I get 21.5 mpg in the summer and 20.0 in the winter on the round trip. I assume it’s winter blend gasoline that affects the mileage. I use cruise control on the whole trip. No real load to speak of with this data.

Around town (suburbs/ small cities) I am right around 15-16 in the summer and 14 in the winter. I let my truck in warm up 5-10 minutes when it’s 40 or below.

These trucks really amaze me. My 2011 4.7 was terrible mileage comparably.

No etorque. I bet it would help in the city though. Plus I keep hearing about how bad idling is for the hemi. I do idle a lot. Maybe the etorque will save cams?
This crossed my mind the other day about idling time and cam failure. Makes perfect sense to me. Only issue is you trade one issue for another which would be wear out and replacement/maintenance of the Etorque and the battery/system. Im looking at a 2024 5.7 etorq and I'm coming from a 2018 5.7 and thinking the etorq might save the cams/lifters.