Evap Smoke Test?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Got the P0456 code again and I'm at the point of building a smoke tester to smoke the evap system to find supposed leak.

Where should I pump the smoke into the system at? Anything I should block off during the test? The truck is an 2008 with the 4.7, if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got the P0456 code again and I'm at the point of building a smoke tester to smoke the evap system to find supposed leak.

Where should I pump the smoke into the system at? Anything I should block off during the test? The truck is an 2008 with the 4.7, if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
You will need to block off the vent near the evap canister and at the fuel Filler neck. Disconnect the purge solenoid and connect your smoke machine at the purge solenoid.

You can also smoke test the purge solenoid and see if the diaphragm is leaking.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
You will need to block off the vent near the evap canister and at the fuel Filler neck. Disconnect the purge solenoid and connect your smoke machine at the purge solenoid.

You can also smoke test the purge solenoid and see if the diaphragm is leaking.

Does it matter which hose I hook the smoke tester into? I assume either one will do accomplish the same thing.

The purge solenoid is new so not worried about testing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does it matter which hose I hook the smoke tester into? I assume either one will do accomplish the same thing.

The purge solenoid is new so not worried about testing that.

I would test a brand new purge solenoid. I have been in this business for such a long time. I learned years ago as a dealership tech that just because a part is new it does not mean that it is good. If it has electricity or moving parts it can/will fail at any time.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I would test a brand new purge solenoid. I have been in this business for such a long time. I learned years ago as a dealership tech that just because a part is new it does not mean that it is good. If it has electricity or moving parts it can/will fail at any time.

Might as well test it while I have the tester out and smoking so I’ll go ahead and try.
Which side of the purge valve should I hook up to test? The bottom or the side connector?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Might as well test it while I have the tester out and smoking so I’ll go ahead and try.
Which side of the purge valve should I hook up to test? The bottom or the side connector?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Apply smoke the the purge solenoid where the connection to the fuel tank is. Not the port that has engine vacuum applied to it with the engine running. You can actually test it either way because as long as the solenoid does not have B+ battery power and ground applied allowing the solenoid to open it should be sealed.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Tested the solenoid and it appeared to be sealed.

Unfortunately my DIY smoke tester wasn't putting off quite enough smoke for long enough to do the whole system, so I'm back to the drawing board on a smoke tester. I pulled the ESIM off and the seal didn't look the best, so I went ahead and replaced the seal and the ESIM while I had it off. Reset the code and time will tell if that was my problem. While I wait for the code to reappear I'm going to redesign my smoke tester and see if I can come up with a better solution.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever get this to work. I've been chasing down this code for months

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I have been chasing a po442,med. evap leak for a while myself.I have recently completed my smoke mach. build but have not yet had a chance to smoke it.The one I built seems like it should work fine but I do not have a garage to work in and lately if its not raining there are 40 mph winds.Fingers crossed I will get to it this weekend.I will be back to update unlike the op.My guess would be the fuel pump lock ring as that would be the biggest pita to fix.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been chasing a po442,med. evap leak for a while myself.I have recently completed my smoke mach. build but have not yet had a chance to smoke it.The one I built seems like it should work fine but I do not have a garage to work in and lately if its not raining there are 40 mph winds.Fingers crossed I will get to it this weekend.I will be back to update unlike the op.My guess would be the fuel pump lock ring as that would be the biggest pita to fix.
Sounds about right....

My tank had issues filling in the winter and there was a chunk of ice in the vent vapor line on the filler neck so I'm hoping there is a hole or two in that and just ordered a replacement. I'm not sure how there could be condensation turned to ice in that tube without a hole... Fingers crossed because I got a rejection sticker for having the pending code (I keep clearing it).

Good luck with the smoke test, let us know how you make out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly