I am new here to this form. I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman truck. It is like new inside and out. I bought a 2016 Ram 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickpreacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. I really like the truck; it is like new inside and out. It only has 77, 000 miles. However, the engine light keeps coming on - the code is P0441. Evap leak. I replaced the cap, the evaporative Emissions system leak detection pump, and the vapor canister purge solenoid valve. it still comes on after replacing all of these parts. I took it to Heister Jeep and Chrysler dealer in Littleton, NC. They did a smoke test and said it was the charcoal canister. So, they charged me $400.00 dollars to replace it. That was a week ago and now the light is on again. I have an appointment to take it in January 9th.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do about it? I don't want to get rid of the truck. Also, I realized that I have an ecosystem on it. However, because of the evap leak it does not work.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't just throw parts at the problem and hope they fix it. Get a good scan tool and diagnose them yourself. The dealers are terrible today. They do exactly that and hope it fixes the issue only to have it return 100 miles later. Evap leaks can literally be from dry cracked hoses at the fitting to the canister of wherever they may connect and that is most likely your issue. Especially if it says "small evap leak". You can also make your own smoke can. Evap codes will never leave you stranded and really don't matter unless they turn on your MIL and your getting a state inspection and that will fail you as in my communist NY state.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum, did you replace the ESIM (evaporative system integrity module) that is located on top of the fuel tank next to the filler tube, and the purge valve is located next to the throttle body, the ESIM is fairly inexpensive I would replace that, you need to reset the code with a scanner and do a complete drive cycle.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like Dodge 1500 said above^^^
Sounds like everything has been replaced except maybe the ESIM. On your work order for the charcoal canister does it specify the ESIM was replaced also? It’s typically connected to the charcoal canister when you purchase the unit. Possibly the dealer only replaced the EVAP canister. Also the new fuel cap, is it OEM or aftermarket? Aftermarket caps can throw codes.

OP
OP
R

Rickpreacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all those parts, including the ESIM. What is a complete driving cycle? I would think that their smoke test would show where the leak would be. Do you believe the dealer will charge me again to fix the leak? I don't mind paying, but I want to fix it.

OP
OP
R

Rickpreacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have a great OBII. It tells me the code, part, and where to buy the part. It even tells me where to take it to get it fixed.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would hope the same dealer would maybe help you out on labor at least if their original diagnosis was incorrect.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You do you, but I'd take my address out of the 'location' field and delete your real name. You're basically asking for scam attempts by putting your real info out in such an easily parsed manner.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Evap system tests itself at times and it's during that "test" that it will detect even the slightest leak. Mine on my 3rd Gen was literally these two little molded hoses that went on the evap purge valve I believe (long time ago).
The good thing about me making my own smoke machine was that I could up the pressure a little bit that would then be able to expose those small leaks

OP
OP
R

Rickpreacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to thank all of you for your help. I am hoping that the dealer will be able to fix the problem. What is a complete driving cycle? How is the outdoorsman different from SLT or Bighorn?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Rick, somewhere in the scan tool functions, you should see something like
I/M Monitors

watch this video
he shows some of the things that he has to do to get his vehicle to pass

when you go to have your emissions test, have your gas tank between 1/2 to 3/4 full, no lower or higher

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hope you get it figured out soon.

Welcome to the forum.

Red

zrock

Reaction score
i get the same code randomly, i found it comes on if i do a lot of short trips like manny stops when i'm out shopping.. I used to just erase the code and move on but realized im not setting a hard code just a temporary code and it will go out on its own in a day or 2.. Its so random that im not even worried about fixing it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
when you go to have your emissions test, have your gas tank between 1/2 to 3/4 full, no lower or higher
I had a similar issue with my wife's former dd, '07 Pacifica. Happened right before inspection. Found out that here in NJ, you're allowed 1 unset "flag" during emissions test. Since the evaporation system only runs its test when the tank is 1/4 to 3/4 full, I filled the gas tank and cleared all codes. I took it for a drive to set all other flags then went to inspection with just the evaporation not set & it passed. Eventually got it fixed. Turned out it was a cracked hose fitting on the fuel pump. Luckily I had a lifetime warranty so the dealer replaced both fuel pumps ( had 2 fuel tanks), only cost was my $100 deductible.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is a complete driving cycle?
Allot of times there will be a hard code set for say like your Emission system, there are drive cycle monitors that continue look at this code, now this problem is fixed and the code is cleared but the drive cycle wasn't completed, you get another check engine light, in your case other problems happened and you got another hard code set, like said you have to drive the car a certain amount of miles till you get a drive cycle complete, this is all done with a high end scanner diagnostic tool, usually only the dealers possess or some Great service Garages.
Your dealer should come up for air and fix your problem at a reduced or no charge for them loading the Parts Cannon!!!!

Last edited:

bigdog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had same malfunction on 2015 ram express 5.7. Replaced vent cannister filter which is located by fuel tank filler pipe (,zit was full of dust/dirt. After that still had issue. Changed evap control valve located on top aft section of fuel tank. Restet code no more issues.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced all those parts, including the ESIM. What is a complete driving cycle? I would think that their smoke test would show where the leak would be. Do you believe the dealer will charge me again to fix the leak? I don't mind paying, but I want to fix it.
I had similar problem and found two cracked hoses, just enough to throw the code, replaced or siliconed and all was good this was mentioned about as well

Seaholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. I really like the truck; it is like new inside and out. It only has 77, 000 miles. However, the engine light keeps coming on - the code is P0441. Evap leak. I replaced the cap, the evaporative Emissions system leak detection pump, and the vapor canister purge solenoid valve. it still comes on after replacing all of these parts. I took it to Heister Jeep and Chrysler dealer in Littleton, NC. They did a smoke test and said it was the charcoal canister. So, they charged me $400.00 dollars to replace it. That was a week ago and now the light is on again. I have an appointment to take it in January 9th.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do about it? I don't want to get rid of the truck. Also, I realized that I have an ecosystem on it. However, because of the evap leak it does not work.
Yes, I had a squirrel chew some evap. hoses underneath the truck above the fuel tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.png
    IMG_0357.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11