2013 5.7 misfire and white smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hometown1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well been driving the dodge around and everything has been fine, oil pressure has been perfect absolutely no complaints. Got to work early one morning and after sitting at idle for about 15 mins it started blowing thick smoke (saw it in the side mirror and first thought was valve guides) put it in drive and by the end of the block smoking was completely gone. I had to go to work and I looked for smoke on start up and there wasn't any. Drove it all day no issues. Got to work the next morning and waited to try and make it smoke again and it never did I let it idle for 30+ minutes. Thought maybe it was an anomaly. Decided I'd pick up a new PCv valve on the way home. Smoke at start up and immediately went away even at idle. Got home swapped it out and still wouldn't smoke at idle. Woke up the next morning and started it so it would warm up and it smoked and stayed smoking so I finally got to check it out. It's thick white and smells rich so now I'm thinking it's a sticking injector because I'm pretty sure valve guides would be blowing blue not white. No loss of coolant or oil. No problems in temp or oil psi. I let it idle for about 30 mins and then check engine light came on. Two codes, misfire on cyl 3 and evap/emissions. Cranked the truck again and no smoke so turned it off cleared the codes and drove to work no smoke no codes. And for the last two days no codes and only smoke at extended idle and below 50 degrees outside temp. I haven't let it idle enough to throw another code but take around 10 minutes of idling before smoking. I've tried to get it to start on acceleration and deceleration and I can't get it to do it. I'm thinking the injector on #3 cyl sticks open sometimes (possibly dependent on weather?) and it doesn't matter once more fuel is introduced from driving it becomes a none issue until at idle with lower psi. I let it idle for awhile when I bought it and it never smoked, was also midday 65 degrees. Only time I've seen it was on startup in 30 degrees (possibly from stuck injector keeps fuel in cylinder) and at idle once at work after 15 mins at between 30-50 degrees depending on the day. Once daylight is out I do not see it even at extended idle. I do have a tick but Im convinced it's a manifold and I hear it best next to the firewall underneath the truck on the passenger side. #3 cyl is on the driver side. Any more ideas? I'll be picking up a new injector on my way home today. Also think I should replace all at once? I

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357