Exhaust manifold / cylinder head / oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here's a crazy one. I feel like I'm wrapped up in several debates / threads ongoing on ramforum.

2019 Rebel 5.7. 47k miles. Purchased January 2019.

Oil has been leaking from the engine for months. Initially they told me that it was likely a loose oil filter or a previous tech didn't clean up an oil spill from an oil change. Oil kept leaking. We finally convinced the dealer to keep the truck for a week to determine the issue. Diagnosis: Cylinder head is leaking and possibly warped. They ordered both sides "just in case."

Two months later and the heads finally arrive. Dropped off the truck yesterday. Got a call from the service writer today: "Who replaced the exhaust manifolds?" Well, nobody unless you guys did. We bought the truck new from you and literally nobody has touched the vehicle other than you. "The tech said that one side exhaust manifold is missing some brace that is supposed to be there. Because the brace is missing the manifold bolts were too long and went into the cylinder head."

Wow.

OP
OP
P

Pribilof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all replaced under warranty so I guess that was OK. Still took multiple visits to diagnose the issue, including a full week at the beginning of June and it took a week at the dealer at the end of August to actually do the work. So the warranty work cost me almost $2k in car rentals. Awesome.