manifold heat shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a story for the gear heads...

So I've had the big hemi tick getting worse. So I ordered the parts, Cam, lifters, seals, valve seals while I was the deep into it. even dropped the pan in installed a high volume oil pump and new pick up tube. I also ordered JBA headers from amazon and got the wrap, locking ties, felpro gasket, stage 8 locking bolts the whole shebang.
So back to the headers, I removed them to inspect lifters, all checked out perfect, rollers had zero play and still got some polish. So with the heads removed I slapped on the headers and stage 8 locking fasteners. What I did find though was a valve seal that wasn't seated and pin balling on the valve stem and soot like you wouldn't believe in the cylinder 1 exhaust port.
I put on the new head gasket and the driver side head, torqued it all down and when underneath the truck to do up the y pipe and not even close to matching up.
SO!!! off with the header I guess with head bolted on (fun stuff). I ordered them and punched in year make and model and engine into the search and it said these headers fit. NOPE!!
Anyway end of my rant lol.

Anyone running manifolds without the heat shield? because mine was mangled and I got get the truck going sooner than later, and I aint pushing the EGT's by any means its the wife's daily driver.

I already feel like a total waste of time once I seen my lifters I wasn't happy about it but it is what it is.
SO I got engine tech lifters and new cam sitting in my garage as some wall decor for sale. Working on shipping them back, I'm religious with oil changes.

Attachments

• flange 1.jpeg
    flange 1.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 16
  • flange 2.jpeg
    flange 2.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 16
  • unnamed.jpeg
    unnamed.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Were they authentic JBA shorty headers?
Amazon is known for posing imitation parts.
I had JBA's on my 19' and they were not that shiny right out of the box new, and I ordered from JBA directly.

OP
OP
A

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure, but I'll have to say they aren't. they charged me 1100CAD and shipped from cali. Mine weren't ceramic or anything. But they did have JBA instructions and what not.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure some people will complain however I never re install the heat shields on stock manifolds on any hemi I work on they are a pain in my ass never had a issue just make sure the heater core hoses are secured.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any decent exhaust shop should be able to cut and reweld the flanges so they mate up with the headers.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I debated leaving my heat shields off, but the EGT when idling or driving in stop/go traffic is where the real issue comes from. Crusing down the road even when hauling you'll get good airflow on the manifolds.

I was going to install shorty headers in my truck but getting access to the bolts was such a pain I just put OEM parts back on. It's an easy job to change them out next time they crack again anyways. ;)

OP
OP
A

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any decent exhaust shop should be able to cut and reweld the flanges so they mate up with the headers.
Ya I thought about taking it in to a shop but I’ll see what Amazon does with the return. In the meantime, I’ll head uptown and throw on OEM bolts and anti seize and let er ride for now.